- Tyne Tees
- 1 update
Tonight is the Great North Run's Million Opening Ceremony.
20,000 people are expected to be at the Quayside to see the event which is expected to kick off at 7:30pm.
Tickets for the ceremony are sold out.
Below is everything you need to know about road closures, car parks, buses and metro links for the event:
- Swing Bridge - 20:30-22:30
- Tyne Bridge - 20:30-22:30
- Millennium Bridge - 18:30-22:30
- Bottle Bank
- South Shore Road
- Quayside (City Road - Sandhill)
- Quayside Walkway (Law Courts - Swing Bridge)
- Sandhill (Close - Quayside) - local access for hotels, bars etc - access to Queen Street/Akenside Hill/Dog Bank via Dean Street and Side
- Lombard Street
- King Street
- Side (Dean Street - Quayside)
- Watergate (Sandhill - Quayside Walkway)
- Quaylink Q1 & Q2 - diverted until the end of Sun 07/09/14, to allow Great North Run events to be staged.
- Route Q1 is missing South Shore Road, Gateshead, between the Swing Bridge and Hillgate, passing Baltic. Passengers for Baltic and other quayside destinations should use the stop in Mill Road.
- Route Q2 is missing stops along the riverside between Ouseburn and the Law Courts. Buses will run via Walker Road, City Road, St Anne's Street and Sandgate, and passengers should use the nearest alternative stop.
- Nearest Stops for the event are Central Station, Manors and Gateshead. From the stations, it is a short walk down to the quayside.