Student sentenced to two years in prison for bomb scare at Newcastle University

An 18-year-old Russian student has pleaded guilty to the manufacturing of an explosive substance after chemicals were discovered at a Newcastle University student accommodation campus in June 2014.

Live updates

Police release pictures from the room of student responsible for Newcastle University bomb scare

Following the sentencing of Russian student Vladimir Aust, who made explosives at his Newcastle University halls, the North East Counter Terrorism Unit and Northumbria Police release photographic evidence from his accommodation:

Gas mask found in Vladimir Aust's student accommodation. Credit: NE Counter Terrorism Unit
Vladimir Aust's worktop with switches, crocodile clips, bulbs and a battery which could be used to make a detonator. Credit: NE Counter Terrorism Unit
After a table embedded with knives was found, Vladimir Aust admitted he caused the damage and his room was searched. Credit: NE Counter Terrorism Unit
Vladimir Aust mixed various chemicals to make HMTD power (Hexamethylenetriperoxidediamine), which he stored in plastic boxes near his bed. Credit: NE Counter Terrorism Unit
A notebook found in Vladimir Aust's room where he wrote down how to make HMTD, a power Mr Justice Coulson called 'popular with terrorists'. Credit: NE Counter Terrorism Unit

Student responsible for bomb scare sentenced to prison

18-year-old Russian student, Vladimir Aust Credit: North East Counter Terrorism Unit

18-year-old, Vladimir Aust has been sentenced to two years in prison at Newcastle Crown Court for making an explosive 'highly popular with terrorists'.

The Russian student pleaded guilty to the manufacturing of an explosive substance, Hexamethylenetriperoxidediamine (HMTD), after chemicals were discovered at a Newcastle University student accommodation campus in June 2014.

Vladimir Aust's desk. Credit: North East Counter Terrorism Unit

Mr Justice Coulson said he received credit for his age, his remorse, his previous good character and his early guilty plea.

He added HMTD terrorists "explosive of choice" and that sentences passed on those who manufactured it needed to be a deterrent.

He said the other aggravating factors were the prolonged period of time over which he made the substance, between February and June, that he had detonated it at least four times, and that others in the halls had been put at risk.

The judge decided that Aust was not part of a wider terror group:

You were dangerous, but acting alone.

– Mr Justice Coulson

The charges follow an investigation by the North East Counter Terrorism Unit and Northumbria Police.

Vladimir Aust clearly had a growing fascination with chemicals and manufacturing them into explosives.

Some of the items recovered are classed as potentially volatile and therefore could have put those within the vicinity at risk.

Although there is no evidence or indication what Aust planned to do with the items he manufactured, the hours he spent researching and working on them is of great concern.

– Ian Wilson, Head of the North East Counter Terrorism Unit
Knives used as part of the evidence in the case against Vladmir Aust. Credit: North East Counter Terrorism Unit

A second 18-year-old man, arrested in connection with the investigation in June, has since been released without charge.

Advertisement

Student admits making an explosive after bomb scare

A Russian student has admitted to making an explosive substance after a bomb scare at Newcastle University.

Vladimir Aust has accepted making hexamethylenetriperoxidediamine (HMTD) between September 1 last year and June 11 this year.

The discovery of the volatile substance, sometimes used in the mining industry, outside the university accommodation building caused chaos in the busy city in the summer.

Read More: Bomb disposal experts called to Newcastle University

The 18-year-old pleaded guilty to the charge during a hearing at Newcastle Crown Court, where he appeared via video link.

A charge of having two lock knives when he was arrested at Bayswater Road in London, when he was believed to be heading for the Russian embassy, was denied and will be dropped.

The investigation was initially led by the Counter Terrorism Unit.

Judge James Goss QC adjorned the case until next month when Aust will be senteced via video link to the prison where he is being held.

Russian student in court over university bomb scare

Court artists drawing of Vladimir Aust at Westminster Court

An 18-year-old Russian student has appeared in court in London following an incident involving explosives at Newcastle University.

Vladimir Aust has been charged with making explosive substances.

He is also accused of carrying two knives when he was arrested near the Russian embassy in London.

Parts of the University were evacuated on two separate occasions last week.

Mr Aust was remanded in custody and will appear at Newcastle Crown Court on June 23rd.

A second teenager, also Russian, is on police bail pending further inquires.

Advertisement

Man charged over Newcastle University evacuation

Newcastle University was evacuated twice when suspicious item were discovered Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

Police have a charged an man in connection with the evacuation of Newcastle University.

The 18-year-old was arrested in London on Tuesday June 10, on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act.

He has been charged with possession of a bladed article in a public place and manufacture of an explosive substance.

He has been remanded in custody and will appear before Magistrates in London tomorrow, Tuesday June 17, 2014.

A second 18-year-old man, arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation, remains on police bail pending further enquiries.

Newcastle Uni explosives case: one man bailed

The North East Counter Terrorism Unit says one of the two men being questioned about incidents surrounding Newcastle University has now been released on bail.

The student, aged 18 and from Russia, had been arrested in Newcastle on Wednesday on suspicion of offences under the Explosives Act.

A second student, also aged 18 and from Russia, was arrested in London on Tuesday on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act.

He remains in custody.

Buildings at Newcastle University were evacuated, and the area sealed off, after police searched a room in a halls of residence and discovered explosives.

These were safely detonated on the Town Moor by bomb disposal experts.

Newcastle Uni staff alerted police to change in student

An investigation into suspected terrorism offences began because Newcastle University staff contacted police to alert them to a change in a student's behaviour, police have confirmed.

At that point they believed a student may have been carrying a knife. A university neighbourhood officer and university staff searched a bedroom in the INTO building in Newcastle city centre, and found a number of items which gave them cause for concern.

Since then two Russian students at the university have been arrested, one on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act and another on suspicion of offences under the Explosives Act.

Northumbria Police Assistant Chief Constable Jo Farrell explained how it unfolded.

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports