Live updates

Sir Tom Jones concert organiser: 'We are not in a position to discuss compensation'

Loose Cannon Events, the Middlesbrough company behind Sir Tom Jones' concert at Alnwick Castle on Saturday August 8th, which was cut short by a power failure, has released the following statement.

Loose Cannon is a small, independent company and we used our best endeavours to organise the Tom Jones concert with a team of proven and experienced people, together with fully complying with all statutory requirements.

< Each event we undertake and deliver allows us to go onto the next event, bringing bigger acts to the North East for everyone to enjoy. We have done several outdoor shows over the years (Olly Murs, Snoop Dogg, and a whole host of well-known international DJ’s).

< In staging a concert of this calibre and size of the Tom Jones concert, we brought on board recognised experts in their chosen fields along with local Northumbria agencies and partners including; Live Nation, TicketMaster, Skiddle, Groupon, Alnwick Castle, and the Northumberland Safety Advisory Group (SAG) and its partners. Their help and assistance was, and still is greatly appreciated.

< Regarding the Tom Jones concert, the main issue is undisputable, that due to reasons beyond our control and reasons not yet known, both the generators that were synchronised together failed. We contracted a large national company. This company provide generators too many large scale events and were engaged to look after the production’s power needs; they fully installed and had staff on site for the duration of the concert.

< The failure of the generators caused the abrupt end to the Sir Tom Jones’s concert.

< People have listed various other issues and whilst we respect these comments, it is however the abandonment of the concert that we believe we need to address as a priority. As soon as we have the facts and information available, this will be made public.

< As a company, until the principal issue of the generators failing is resolved, we are not in a position to engage in any discussion about compensation.

< As and when this changes we will of course inform all interested parties. We appreciate that this is what ticket-buyers want to know about, but the facts need to be established and confirmed and the legal involvement needs agreement between a number of parties. This must be finalised before we can advise on any compensation.

< This is not how was had envisaged our flagship event concluding and I would like to again apologise for concert-goers disappointment. As previously mentioned all emails are being replied to and will be responded to within 28 days.

– Neil Winterbottom, Director, Loose Cannon Events

Council reviewing power cut at Sir Tom Jones concert

Northumberland County Council has said they have launched a review after Sir Tom Jones' concert was cut short due to 'major technical issue'.

A spokesperson for the council said, “NCC has initiated a review into the abrupt conclusion of the concert and the arrangements put in place for the organisation and staging of the event.”

Credit: Jane Coltman, Northumberland Gazette

Were you at the concert? Tell us about your experience by emailing pamandian@itv.com or tweet @ITVTyneTees.

Advertisement

Events company apologises to thousands of fans at Tom Jones' gig at Alnwick Castle

The company behind Sir Tom Jones' gig at Alnwick Castle - where a power failure cut short his performance - has apologised to thousands who attended.

Firstly, Loose Cannon would like to sincerely apologise for the way concert-goers were left feeling after the Tom Jones concert on Saturday 8th August.

All complaints are being recorded and will responded to as soon as possible and within 28 days.

As previously stated a large national company provided all the power and tower lighting units for the site, this included 2 large synchronised generators that provided all the production power. Synchronised units are always used on events of this nature to allow a seamless crossover should a fault occur on one of the units.

Unfortunately on this occasion it appears both units developed faults.

The supplier had engineers on site for the full duration of the performance. Unfortunately after a second loss of power towards the end of Sir Tom's performance, the show came to an abrupt end.

As a company we have commissioned an independent report into the causes of both generators failing. We are also awaiting the supplier providing us with their findings.

We will continue to update our Facebook page as and when we can and as mentioned will be replying to customers who have emailed us.

– NEIL WINTERBOTTOM, LOOSE CANNON EVENTS

Duchess of Northumberland: 'Power failure at Tom Jones gig was a tragedy'

Jane Percy, the Duchess of Northumberland, has reacted to hundreds of complaints about a power failure at Alnwick Castle this weekend, where Sir Tom Jones was performing.

It's really, really sad. People were expecting a wonderful night out. I've heard nothing but complaints.

– Jane Percy

Sir Tom Jones: 'Very upsetting for fans at Alnwick and myself'

Sir Tom Jones has tweeted his disappointment after a power failure cut short his concert at Alnwick Castle on 8th August.

In a statement via his website, he said:

Tom Jones would like to sincerely apologise to all his fans for the abrupt ending to his concert at Alnwick Castle on Saturday evening.

A loss of generator power supply at the beginning of the night meant a delayed start to the concert and unfortunately, after continuous problems during Tom’s performance, a further loss of power meant the concert ended abruptly.

Tom really enjoyed performing to the North East crowd and was extremely disappointed that the concert ended in this manner.

Tom looks forward to returning to the North East for a concert in the future.

– Sir Tom Jones

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

Advertisement

Fans say Tom Jones concert poorly organised

Two of the concert-goers say the Tom Jones gig at Alnwick Castle in Northumberland on Saturday (August 8) was spoilt by delays, technical glitches, poor catering and health and safety issues.

Here are Carly Needham and Richard Dale:

Unfortunately, during Sir Tom Jones's performance last night at Alnwick Castle, there was an issue with the generator power supply which meant that the concert finished abruptly.

I wish to make it clear that this situation is not associated with the artist or his management team or Alnwick Castle. Loose Cannon Events employed an established company to supply the power generators and who are well-versed in supplying power to large events of this scale and we are investigating the incident.

– Neil Winterbottom, Director of Loose Cannon Events

Orgainisers say they were sorry to disappoint concert-goers and all enquiries should be directed here

Events company statement over Tom Jones concert power cut

"Unfortunately, during Sir Tom Jones's performance at Alnwick Castle, there was an issue with the generator power supply which meant that the concert finished abruptly.

"I wish to make it clear that this situation is not associated with the artist or his management team or Alnwick Castle.

"Loose Cannon Events employed an established company to supply the power generators and who are well-versed in supplying power to large events of this scale and we are investigating the incident.

"We are sorry to disappoint concert-goers with the abrupt end to the concert."

– Neil Winterbottom, Director of Loose Cannon Events

Fans disappointed after power failure at Sir Tom Jones show

Dozens of concert-goers have taken to social media to demand a refund after Sir Tom Jones disappeared from stage without warning when his concert at Alnwick Castle was cut short due to technical problems.

After a late start, the music legend charmed the crowds for just 45 minutes before the stage went black, leaving fans literally with "the lights out".

Sir Tom Jones then left the stage before an official announcement came 15 minutes later telling everyone there were problems with the power supply.

An estimated seven thousand fans, many who paid around £50 for their ticket, were left furious when they were then told the singer had left the site and was not returning.

The Welsh icon had been scheduled to begin his show at 8.30pm but did not appear until 9.15pm.

After tweeting that she was, "really excited to be at @AlnwickCastle for once in a lifetime concert with @realsirtomjones", Berwick-upon-Tweed MP, Anne-Marie Trevelyan also expressed her disappointment on Twitter:

The concert, organised by Loose Cannon Event Management, was due to end at 11pm, but Sir Tom left the stage at 10pm and never returned.

The company posted on Facebook to say "this is currently being investigated by independent experts, and we hope to be able to provide further information as and when it becomes available".

Load more updates