Live updates

11 sheep killed in series of attacks on Teesside

Warning: This article contains upsetting images

Credit: RSPB Saltholme

Police are appealing for information after a series of attacks on sheep at and RSPB reserve in Billingham.

On Sunday December 20, two sheep were found dead at the reserve. Two days later, a further six were found dead with two injured. Last night another three were killed.

The RSPB supplied the following images, as part of their appeal for anyone with information about the attacks to contact PC Lee Kirk at Cleveland Police on 101.

Credit: RSPB Saltholme
Credit: RSPB Saltholme

Teen attacked in Newcastle

Police are appealing for information after a teenager was attacked in Newcastle. The incident happened between 3.30pm and 3.50pm, on Sunday, May 18.

The 17-year-old victim was on Tewkesbury Road in Lemington, when he was approached from behind and hit on the head with what is believed to have been a hammer. He turned around to face his attacker and was struck again. He was taken to Newcastle's RVI for treatment to a head wound then released.


Pictures: Man arrested after woman found with throat slit

Police presence after throat slit attack. Credit: ITV Tyne Tees
Police corden in Normanby. Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a woman was found with her throat slit in Middlesbrough.

Police were called after reports that a woman in her twenties had been seriously assaulted by a man near to the old railway line in Normanby, at around 1pm today (March 24).

A helicopter was launched in a bid to help trace the offender.

A 20-year-old man has been arrested and remains in police custody.

The victim has been taken to James Cook University Hospital with non-life threatening knife wounds to her throat.

The old railway line, Flatts Lane, Normanby. Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

Teenage girls attacked in Cramlington

Northumbria Police have extra officers in and around Cramlington after two teenage girls were attacked.

Between 7:30pm and 7:45pm on Monday, January 13th, two girls aged 14 and 16, were walking on a cycle track which runs past Shanklea primary school.

They were approached by a man, possibly holding a knife, as they neared the school where he walked alongside them before grabbing one of them.

The girls manage to attract attention from a passerby and the man fled off. The teenagers were unharmed but shaken.

"This is clearly a disturbing incident for the girls. We are speaking to witnesses and doing all we can to identify this man."

"I'd appeal for anyone who was on the cycle track near to Shanklea primary school on Monday evening and who saw anything suspicious to get in touch. If anyone thinks they saw the man we have described, or the two girls, or any suspicious people or vehicles in the area then I'd ask them to contact us as soon as possible."

– Chief Inspector Peter Reeve, Northumbria Police

"We are particularly keen to speak to two men who the victims passed and who they saw carrying squash rackets, these two men may have seen something and could have important evidence."

"We also want to hear from anyone who might have seen a dark Renault Clio parked in a cul-de-sac of a nearby housing estate near to the school where the incident happened. "We have extra officers in the local area today speaking to people and carrying out enquiries. We are speaking with the victims and offering them support."

– Chief Inspector Peter Reeve, Northumbria Police

The offender is described as white, around 5ft6 to 5ft 8ins tall, of skinny build and in his early 20s.

Enquiries into the incident are ongoing and police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them on 101 ext 69191

Police appeal for witnesses in BB gun attack

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was hit by a BB gun pellet on Queen’s Parade in Scarborough.

The incident happened at around 10:50pm on Friday, December 27, when a man was walking along Queen’s Parade with a group including his young children.

A small, dark blue hatchback drove past the group and a BB gun was fired from the vehicle.

A pellet hit the man on his head and caused grazing.

Although he did not require hospital treatment, he was very shaken up by what happened.

Two 18-year-old men were arrested nearby a short time later.

Police are appealing for witnesses.

  1. Calendar

York man dies after attack

A man who was assaulted in York has died of his injuries, police have confirmed.

Keith Wright, 50, had been on life-support in Leeds General Infirmary since he was attacked at 7.40pm on January 21. He died at 9am today.

Detective Inspector Ian Dyer, said “Our thoughts are with Keith’s family who are naturally devastated by the terrible outcome at hospital. “This is an extremely tragic incident and we are doing everything we can to support them."

Liam Matthew Wyard, 19, and a 16-year-old youth who cannot be named for legal reasons, have been charged with unlawful and malicious wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

The pair are due to appear at York Crown Court in April.


Rapist jailed for life after York attack

A man has been sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty of raping a woman in York on New Year's Day.

Billy Joe Craven, 19, admitted to the attack on a 26-year-old woman at Del Pyke, in the Groves area. She was taken to York District Hospital for emergency treatment after the incident.

Craven pleaded guilty to rape, sexual assault and grievous bodily harm and was sentenced at York Crown Court last Friday.

Detective Chief Inspector Nigel Costello, of North Yorkshire Police said:

"This was a truly vicious attack and, in my 22 years' police service, I have never seen anything more harrowing than the CCTV footage that captured the entire offence.

"The level of injuries sustained by the victim made her unrecognisable.

"I hope the life sentence helps her to put this horrendous ordeal behind her."

– Detective Chief Inspector Nigel Costello, North Yorkshire Police

Two arrested over Gateshead attack

Two men have been arrested in connection with an attack on two people in Gateshead.

It happened at around 11pm at Swalwell Football Club last night. Two men were assaulted and taken to hospital. One suffered serious injuries and is on a life support unit.

One man has been arrested on suspicion of affray, and another man was detained on suspicion of assault.

Any witnesses are being asked to contact Northumbria Police on 101.

Load more updates