Live updates

Police to visit man found with his penis cut off

The man was found in the South Bank area of Middlesbrough last Thursday. Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees

Police officers will today visit a man in hospital who was found last Thursday with his penis cut off. The man, in his 40s, was found on the A66 in the South Bank area of Middlesbrough.

Detectives are continuing to investigate how he came by his injuries.

Members of the public with relevant information are asked to contact Cleveland Police by calling 101.

Man whose penis was cut off now conscious

A man who was found on a road with his penis cut off has regained consciousness.

The 40-year-old had been in an induced coma in James Cook University Hospital after being found in a distressed state on the A66 near South Bank, Middlesbrough at 4.50 am on Thursday.

Cleveland Police say they hope to be able to speak to him about what happened over the weekend.

It is still unclear whether the police found the man's appendage after they closed the road to search for it.

A 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault in relation to the incident and was released on bail.

Advertisement

Police to make further enquiries after man found in Middlesbrough with his penis cut off

The man was found on the A66 in Middlesbrough. Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees
Police found the man in the South Bank area of Middlesbrough. Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees

Police will be making further enquiries after a man was found in Middlesbrough with his penis cut off.

The man, in his 40s, was walking along the A66 near the South Bank area of Middlesbrough.

A 22-year-old man was arrested earlier today but he has now been released on bail.

Members of the public can contact Cleveland Police by calling 101.

Man with missing penis still in coma, as police investigate

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said the 22-year-old man arrested in connection with the incident has been released on bail.

The injured man remains in an induced coma in hospital, police confirmed.

Officers say they have been searching for all evidence from the scene. It is unclear whether they have found the missing penis.

Man found in Middlesbrough with his penis cut off

Police had to close the A66 to search for evidence. Credit: North News

A man is in hospital after being found staggering on a road with his penis cut off.

Cleveland Police found the man on the A66 near South Bank in Middlesbrough early this morning.

Officers closed off the area in their search for evidence. The man, who is in his 40s, is now in an induced coma in hospital. A 22-year-old male has been arrested on suspicion of assault.

Members of the public can contact Cleveland Police by calling 101.

Advertisement

Ex-Chief Constable of Cleveland was highest paid outside London

The former head of Cleveland Police was the highest paid Chief Constable outside of London and claimed tens of thousands of pounds of expenses on train tickets to London and foreign business trips.

The Operation Sacristy team, which is investigating alleged corruption at the force, has now published its full 400-page report into Sean Price.

Yesterday it was confirmed he will not face criminal charges - and Mr Price says his expense claims were all legitimate.

Dan Ashby reports.

Ex-Cleveland Chief Constable Sean Price: "disgrace to see the issue of expenses raised again"

The former Chief Constable of Cleveland has said it is a "disgrace" that the issue of his expenses has been raised, and called the issue a "smokescreen". Sean Price was sacked for misconduct but yesterday discovered he would not face any criminal charges.

He went on to detail some of the trips he has been on during his time in the police and finished by asking Operation Sacristy investigators to explain the £5m costs of the investigation into him and others.

My responsibilities as Chief Constable of Cleveland also included a number of National responsibilities: Counter Terrorism Committee, Maritime Counter Terror Lead, Lead on the reform of Police IT, together with general Home Office and ACPO meetings.

The vast majority of these were in London. This necessitated travel there on a very frequent basis and frequent hotel stays. This is a very similar position to many other Chief Police Officers.

Foreign travel, representing the force or the service, was also part my role and during my time in Merseyside I went to the USA on business, during my time in Nottinghamshire I went to Ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo, Austria and Cyprus.

Whilst in Cleveland I spoke at conferences in Estonia and Denver and also attended meetings at the WEF [World Economic Forum] in Davos and a CT meeting in Doha.

The conference in Denver was attended by over 18000 police officers from around the world and many from the UK.

The Estonia conference was also well attended with police officers and politicians from the UK.

The investigators were aware of all these facts and have unhelpfully not provided any comparison with other Chief Officers, for example the lead of the enquiry has travelled abroad on a number of occasions including (according to published expenses) Italy and Japan.

It is significant that no action has been taken against me on these matters.

I trust that in due course Operation Sacristy will be similarly forthright in explaining how it spent nearly £5 million pounds.

– Sean Price, former Chief Constable of Cleveland

Price was highest paid police chief outside London

The former Cleveland Police boss Sean Price was the highest paid chief constable outside of London, according to notes published from the operation Sacristy investigation.

Sean Price was paid more than £176,000 at one point, after several pay rises. The notes also reveal he claimed £34,000 on train expenses in an 18-month period.

Mr Price says he didn't break any rules, and that the report unfairly insinuates he has done something wrong. Yesterday the Crown Prosecution Service said he wouldn't face criminal charges.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories