Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
The North East has seen the highest average council tax rises in the country this year. The average Band D bill will be up £13.81, which is 0.9%. The national average is only up by 0.3%.
However, the body which does the annual survey, the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA), says the increase is still relatively small. No local authority has increased the tax by more than 4%.