Some of the world’s best cyclists will descend on Stockton in the coming week as they prepare to compete on TeessideRead the full story ›
Organisers of the Pearl Izumi Tour Series cycling event have confirmed that Durham City will feature in this year's race calendarRead the full story ›
The RNLI, which has been saving lives at sea for nearly 200 years, has become the official charity for this year's Tour de Yorkshire.Read the full story ›
The full routes for the 2016 Tour de Yorkshire have been announced. Stage Three of the race will start in Middlesbrough.Read the full story ›
The Bike Life report for Newcastle has been published - and its looking at ways Newcastle can be more bike friendly to encourage more of us to take our journeys by two wheels instead of four.
Work centres around John Dobson Street in the city which is being transformed into a 'boulevard' style area with wider spaces for pedestrians and also a protected two way cycle path.
Cycling in the city is another initiative that is aiming to get us more active by using our bikes. It involves free bike 'health checks, loaning bikes out from the cycle library and letting people know where its safe to cycle.
- 77% of people want to see more investment in cycling
- The over 75's are the least likely to ride a bike
- 90% of people who currently don't ride a bike want traffic free routes before to help them get on the saddle
- 54% of people could potentially use a bike for work and pleasure in Newcastle
- 50% of people in Newcastle live in a household with more than 1 bike
Three quarters of people in the North East want to see more money spent on cycling, and 8 in 10 people in the city want to see an increase in cycling safety.
It comes from the first detailed study of the state of cycling in the UK. It is based on a model created in Denmark and will now be conducted across the country every two years.
'Bike Life' Newcastle has been published together with the council and the campaign group 'Sustrans'.
Newcastle cycling facts! Why we love our bikes...
- There were over 7 million bike trips made last year in Newcastle
- 24% of people ride a bike at least once a month
- 8 in 10 people support making the city safer to get around on bike
- 6,,074 tonnes of CO2 are saved every year by people getting on their bike rather than using their car...that's the equivalent of nearly 2,400 cars!
The Tour of Britain has continued to captivate the crowds as it winds its way through our region again. Click here to see today's pictures.Read the full story ›
People in Prudhoe are preparing to welcome cyclists in the fifth stage of the Tour of Britain. Yesterday, hundreds of spectators lined the route for stage four. Owain Doull is currently the top British rider. He is in sixth position.
Competitors will be riding through our region again for the Tour of Britain. See our guide for full details on how to get the best view.Read the full story ›
Mark Cavendish helped Etixx-QuickStep team-mate Fernando Gaviria to victory on stage four of the competition.Read the full story ›