Tributes to David Hockney's assistant

A studio assistant to the artist David Hockney has died in hospital after being taken from the painter's East Yorkshire home.

Live updates

Washington river death

A man has died after being recovered from the River Wear.Police officers and other emergency services attended the scene at Bonemill Lane, Fatfield, in Washington at 12.29pm today (April 17).

A man was pulled from the river and taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Enquiries are at an early stage and officers are working to identify him and to trace his family.

Additional patrols are currently in the area to reassure residents and carry out enquiries.


Elderly man dies after bus fall

An elderly man has died after being injured during a fall on a bus in Ashington last week.

The X20 bus was travelling between Amble and Newcastle at around 5pm on Thursday March 20 when it stopped at a pedestrian crossing.

The passenger was taken to Wansbeck Hospital, where he died in the early hours of this morning (March 27).

Officers want to speak to any witnesses who have not yet come forward.

Man's body found on Teesside

Investigations are underway after a man's body was found at a flat on Teesside.

Police were called to a property in Borough Road in Middlesbrough just after two o'clock this afternoon (7 February).

They say it is too early to determine whether the death may be treated as suspicious.


Investigations into cyclist death

Investigations are continuing to try and establish how a cyclist came to be knocked down and killed by a double decker bus.

It happened on Durham Road in Gateshead on Saturday morning. The cyclist, in his thirties, died at the scene. Go North East says it will be carrying out its own investigation.


Police release statement about death

HUMBERSIDE Police were contacted by Scarborough General Hospital, shortly after 0600hrs yesterday morning (Sunday 17 March ), after a Bridlington man had been taken to the hospital by a friend in a serious condition.

The 23-year-old man was sadly pronounced dead at hospital and the police notified.

The circumstances of the man's death are not clear and officers are currently undertaking enquiries to establish events leading to his death.

There were no signs of violence and a post mortem examination is due to take place tomorrow (Tuesday 19 March) which is hoped may provide further information.

– Humberside Police
Load more updates


Today's top stories