Police are appealing for information following the sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl near Genesis Way, Consett.
The assault happened at 3.50pm on Thursday, May 5 on ‘the heaps’ behind the Tesco Extra store in Consett. The girl was approached from behind and knocked to the ground where she was sexually assaulted.
The man, described as in his 20s, 5’9” tall, of mixed race with short black hair, broad shoulders, and a skinny frame. It is possible he had his ear pierced and was wearing a ring. He was also wearing a grey hoodie and smelt strongly of urine.
PC Karen Myers, from Consett CID, said: “This is a clearly a very shocking and upsetting incident for the girl involved and the wider community.
“We would like to reassure people that we are doing everything we can to trace the individual involved, we are currently reviewing town centre CCTV to identify this man and are now appealing to the public for information to assist us.”
Specialist officers are supporting the girl and her family.
Anyone with information should call 101.
They have nominated their neighbours Cleveland Police, Northumbria Police and North Yorkshire Police.
Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.
A man from East Durham is due to appear before magistrates charged with hacking into a number of corporate websites, including that of Durham Constabulary.
Officers from the cyber crime unit based in NERSOU (North East Regional Special Operations Unit) charged 22-year-old Paul Dixon, from The Avenue, Seaham with offences under the Computer Misuse Act.
He has been charged with five offences relating to attacks against various websites, including Durham Constabulary, Police Scotland and British Airways, which took place in October 2014.
Det Sgt Rachel Lewis from the cyber crime unit said “The impact of the attacks disrupted the level of services provided to the public for significant periods of time and also caused a loss of revenue to the businesses affected.”
Dixon has been bailed to attend South Tyneside magistrates on Tuesday, 17th May.
The demolition of Durham Police's old HQ at Aykley Heads has begun.
The new HQ building was built on land adjacent to the previous Aykley Heads site.
Two controlled explosions have been carried out on what turned out to be a suitcase full of audio equipment, CDs and DVDs.
The package is not suspicious, but was discovered this morning near to Old Shire Hall on Old Elvet in Durham just before 9.30am today.
Bomb disposal experts and police have been dealing with the discovery.
The item has been examined and was found to be harmless. The cordon is now being lifted.
An area of Durham remains cordoned off after a suspicious package was reported.
The package was found near to Old Shire Hall on Old Elvet in Durham just before 9.30am today.
People are being advised to avoid the area.
A man has died after his car left the road and overturned in a field near Bishop Auckland.
The victim, a 21-year-old local man, was travelling alone along Long Lane, Todhills, when the crash happened just before 1:30am today (March 5). He suffered multiple injuries and died at the scene.
HMIC has graded every police force on its overall effectiveness in reducing crime and keeping people safe.Read the full story ›
67-year-old Kathleen Holroyd from Sacriston had been missing since yesterday, but has now been found safe and well.
The computers of six men are being examined after they were arrested on suspicion of distributing child abuse images in County Durham.Read the full story ›