Sunderland residents can eat out for £5, £10 or £15 from this weekend as the city hosts its first Restaurant Week.Read the full story ›
What's in your freezer? Simply things like checking before you go food shopping can help reduce the amount of food you waste.Read the full story ›
North East-based bakers Greggs is considering revamping its menu, chief executive Roger Whiteside said, which could include sushiRead the full story ›
The restaurant behind the death of a customer from a nut allergy has sent an apology email to customers that promotes a new dessert range.Read the full story ›
A restaurant owner has been jailed for 6 years for the manslaughter of a customer who died from a peanut allergy after eating a curry from his restaurant.
Indian restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman failed to inform customer Paul Wilson that the curry used mixed nut powder.
The parents of a man who died of an allergic reaction after a restaurant owner failed to inform him a curry contained nuts have said it should never have happened.
Paul Wilson, 38, suffered from a severe peanut allergy and died after eating a takeaway from Zaman's restaurant.
Mohammed Zaman, 52, used cheaper groundnut mix - which contained peanuts - rather than almond powder as a way of cutting costs.
Zaman was convicted of Wilson's manslaughter by gross negligence and six food safety offences at Teesside Crown Court.
Margaret and Keith Wilson say they feel bitter and angry about Zaman's actions.
Pub manager Paul Wilson insisted his chicken tikka masala must be nut-free when he placed his order at The Indian Garden restaurant in Easingwold, North Yorkshire on January 30th 2014.
His parents say his last words to them were "I love you both, talk tomorrow."
Zaman passive in dock as guilty verdict read out.Also guilty on 6 food safety counts, NOT guilty on 1 count of perverting course of justice
Zaman first restauranteur to be convicted of manslaughter-victim Paul Wilson was assured korma bought from Zaman's curry house was nut free.
Paul Wilson's mother sobbed as Zaman found guilty of manslaughter,his father told ITVTyneTees he was a 'son and a best friend'
Kenny Atkinson’s The House of Tides has been named England’s Restaurant of the Year at an awards ceremony in London.
Fresh from winning a Michelin star, North East-born Atkinson was singled-out at the event, hosted by Fiona Bruce, where he received the food industry’s equivalent of an Oscar.
The annual AA Hospitality Awards are made following inspection of hundreds of eateries across Britain to identify those setting a “truly excellent” standard of cuisine. Each restaurant gains marks for innovation, ambience and hospitality.
The House of Tides, based on the Newcastle Quayside, was picked out as this year’s AA Restaurant of the Year for England, a title which recognises a restaurant said to be an outstanding example in its market.
Monday night’s awards took place at the Grosvenor House Hotel with the hospitality world represented by leading restaurateurs, hoteliers and publicans.
The restauranteur previously worked as a chef at venues such as The Chester Grosvenor, Mandarin Oriental London, The Greenway, St Martins on the Isle, Seaham Hall and Rockliffe Hall before returning to his home city, creating The House of Tides in a transformed 16th Century former merchant’s townhouse.
The restaurant will appear in the latest edition of the AA Hotel, Restaurant and Pub Guide.
Almost three quarters of parents in the North East worry that their child is not getting the nutrition they need and 95% say they have had to prepare a different meal to the rest of the family to make sure their son or daughter eats something.
The fussiness can lead to problems in later life - although experts say it is often just a phase.
David Wood has been looking into the issue.
Campaigners are calling for standards of hospital food to be regulated across England by introducing the same control that is in place in schools and prisons.
It follows news that hospital chiefs have been giving themselves the the highest possible rating for their food, despite figures being put forward by an independent Care Quality Commission survey which showed half of patients were dissatisfied with hospital food.
Rachel Bullock's full report is below.