An eerie silence hangs around St James' Park.
The club's only statement regarding departed Alan Pardew is a simple 'no comment'.
This is despite it being widely reported that Pardew started his new job at the helm of Crystal Palace today.
The London club is also refusing to confirm or deny anything at this stage.
Alan Pardew sat in the stands watching his new team perform during Palace's goalless draw at Aston Villa yesterday.
As he did so, John Carver took over the manager's bench at St James' Park for at least one match - a 3-3 draw at home to Burnley.
So Alan Pardew is definitely gone, even though both clubs are refusing to confirm this.
Who will be his long-term replacement? Will Newcastle United say anything to fans - those poor people with a lifelong vested interest in the club?
As soon as we find out we will let you know.
It has been an eventful four years at Newcastle for Alan Pardew.
Phil Roscoe looks back at the highs and lows of the manager's time on Tyneside.
Hull City boss Steve Bruce has ruled himself out of replacing Alan Pardew as Newcastle manager.
Bruce says that while he's a lifelong Newcastle fan he is committed to Hull, having already turned down other offers.
As it stands, Alan Pardew is still Newcastle United's manager. But he may not be for much longer.
Pardew is on the brink of becoming the new Crystal Palace boss.
His assistant, John Carver, held Newcastle's pre-match press conference today (December 31).
And he shed some light on what's been happening at the club over the last few days:
Tony Pulis has not been offered the opportunity to replace Alan Pardew as Newcastle manager.
There has been claims the former Stoke and Crystal Palace boss had turned down the chance to take over at St James' Park. Sources now say the proposition was never put to him.
Hull boss Steve Bruce has ruled out any chance of him becoming Newcastle manager, should Alan Pardew move to Crystal Palace.
Bruce is a boyhood Newcastle fan and said he was "flattered" to be linked with the position but is committed to Hull and has already turned down three offers from other clubs during his time at the Tigers.
Pardew is yet to complete a move to Crystal Palace after Newcastle announced on Monday night that a compensation figure had been agreed and he had been given permission to talk to the Eagles.
Bruce told a news conference ahead of tomorrow's clash with Everton:
People know that I am from Newcastle, I was a Newcastle supporter as a boy and it has been regurgitated since I was a 22-year-old playing for Norwich and Gillingham. For that obvious reason every time I am linked with them. It's very flattering as I'm a Geordie but that's it. I have a job to do here and it would be wrong for me to think of anything else other than get this club out of the position we are in and that's all I am focused on.It would be wrong for the speculation to keep carrying on for the club, for the supporters, for the players. I am determined to see this through and make sure we stay in the Premier League and build on the good work we have done in the last two hand a half years. I have had three offers in the two and a half years I have been here and I have turned them all down so I think the chairman knows the way I feel and why would I want to leave now? It's not right, and I hope people respect that.
Hull are only a point off the relegation zone and Bruce accepted that some fans might believe it was time for him to go.
We all know the industry, the one thing you don't want to see is fellow managers being sacked but I understand the nature of the beast and some people in this city probably think its my time for my head to roll. Thankfully I have a chairman I am convinced will stick by me. One thing none of us need is distraction and we want to be fully focused on one thing - to get us out of trouble.
Newcastle United are to hold a press conference ahead of their New Year's Day match against Burnley later (December 31).
It will be the first time the club has spoken since it emerged that Alan Pardew was in discussions to take over the vacant manager's job at Crystal Palace.
Papiss Cissé leaving training earlier today amid speculation surrounding Newcastle united's future management.
Newcastle are unlikely to make a swift appointment as they look for a replacement for manager Alan Pardew after ruling out Fabricio Coloccini as a candidate.
Pardew is set to be unveiled at the new Crystal Palace boss after the Eagles were given permission to talk to the 53-year-old following an offer of compensation. Pardew's assistant John Carver and first-team coach Steve Stone will take charge for Thursday's Barclays Premier League clash with Burnley and the FA Cup third round trip to Leicester 48 hours later.
Captain Fabricio Coloccini is the surprise name at the head of the betting to replace Alan Pardew as Newcastle boss should he complete a switch to Crystal Palace.
Pardew's departure to Palace appears imminent, with United on Monday night giving the London club permission to speak to the 53-year-old.
Having been at the helm for four years, Pardew is part of the furniture at St James' Park, albeit despite never really being a fan favourite.
Consequently his exit would leave a large void and on Tuesday morning Argentina defender Coloccini was the early favourite to fill it in what would likely be a player-manager role.
A popular figure on the terraces, Coloccini has made over 200 appearances for United since joining them from Deportivo La Coruna in 2008.
The 32-year-old has no coaching experience and would be a left-field appointment, but owner Mike Ashley - a billionaire businessman - has never been afraid to make controversial decisions.