Live updates

Gas leak causes evacuation in North Yorkshire

50 businesses have been evacuated after a gas leak at a business park in North Yorkshire.

It happened in Brompton on Swale at around 9.30am on Friday morning.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue sent two engines and one officer to the scene. They waited on site until the arrival of the gas board, who've now isolated the leak.

The nearby A1 has not been affected.

Police warning following hazardous gas theft

Police in York are issuing a warning following a burglary and theft of a hazardous gas in the city.

Thieves stole seven cylinders of pure nitrous oxide from the Clifton Park NHS Treatment Centre, overnight between Monday December 30 and Tuesday December 31.

“Nitrous oxide is sometimes used recreationally, but in this pure form it is hazardous and could even prove fatal. So I urge people not to take any risks.

“Nitrous oxide can also be used in specially modified cars. If you can identify those responsible for this theft, please contact the police.”

– PC Nick Garbutt, York Safer Neighbourhool Team

The cylinders, which are all blue, are either three feet or five feet in length.

They all have white collar tags, with the manufacturer’s name BOC and details of the contents.

The tags also have important safety advice written on them.


  1. National

Fracking must not come at 'expense of local communities'

Speaking to reporters in Blackburn, Lancashire, the Energy Secretary said:

Shale gas represents a promising new potential energy resource for the UK ...

My decision is based on the evidence. It comes after detailed study of the latest scientific research available and advice from leading experts in the field.

We are still in the very early stages of shale gas exploration in the UK and it is likely to develop slowly.

It is essential that its development should not come at the expense of local communities or the environment.

Fracking must be safe and the public must be confident that it is safe.

– ed davey, energy secretary

New phone service to help vulnerable cope with the cost of heating their homes

Counting the cost of heating Credit: ITV News

A new project's being launched to help vulnerable people cope with the cost of heating their homes this winter. North Tyneside, Northumberland and Newcastle councils have joined forces to provide a telephone helpline offering support and advice.

It's been funded by Government money given to councils to come up with new projects aimed at tackling fuel poverty.


Police officers still in hospital after explosion

The explosion destroyed the house at Marion Court, Gateshead Credit: ITV

Three police officers remain in hospital after being injured in a gas explosion in Gateshead.

The trio were admitted to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary with serious injuries and burns after the blast at Marion Court on Monday. Police have confirmed that all three are still receiving treatment.

A gas engineer, and a paramedic were also injured and taken to hospital.

Explosion engineer leaving hospital

The engineer who was inside the flat that exploded in Gateshead last night is due to leave hospital.

The Northern Gas Networks worker was treated for flash burns to his hands and face. His protective clothing prevented more serious injury.

A spokesperson for the company said the engineer showed 'bravery and quick thinking', and that he will be given all the support he needs in the coming weeks and months.

Load more updates