A large sinkhole on a residential street in Newcastle has revealed old mine workings.Read the full story ›
A huge 30ft deep sinkhole has appeared in a residential street in Newcastle.
There is currently no access to Craster Square in Coxlodge, Gosforth, and emergency services are in attendance.
Nobody has been injured, but the crater has revealed old working mines.
The family of David Savage has released a statement after he died following a stabbing in Gosforth.
"Dave grew up in the idyllic surroundings of New Zealand but as a young man he always wanted to explore the world.
"His mother was British and as he had dual citizenship, he eventually decided to settle in England. He took well to living in the North East as he found people here were warm and welcoming.
"He had lots of friends who enjoyed his fun loving and generous personality. He was well known in the area as his local business the '2 for 1' club he made lots of local contacts.
"He was deeply loved by his family and he was a committed partner to Donna and his children, Jak and Erin. He will be deeply missed by all who knew him.
"We are all devastated by his death but his two beautiful children will help get us all through this. Donna will raise Jak and Erin in a way that will make their daddy proud.
"Donna would like to thank all those who have generously given to the fund set up to start a new life for her and the children to establish a new home from the scene of his loss."
A Northumbria Police investigation is currently underway.
Northumbria Police says a 17-year-old male has been charged with murder following a stabbing in Gosforth on Saturday. He has also been charged with possession of an offensive weapon.
The teenager, from Newcastle, was remanded in custody and will appear before North Tyneside Magistrates Court this morning.
David Savage, 42, from Gosforth, was stabbed in the chest at his home on Park Avenue at around 5.45am on Saturday.
Police in Newcastle have named the victim of the stabbing in Gosforth, who died from his injuries.
David Savage was 42 years old and from Park Avenue in Gosforth.
He had been stabbed in the chest at his home at around 5.45am on Saturday.
A 17-year-old male remains in police custody after being arrested on suspicion of murder.
A 20-year-old arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder has been released without charge.
A 17-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a 42-year-old man suffered fatal stab wounds.
Northumbria Police said a 20-year-old was also being held on suspicion of conspiracy to murder following the death in Park Avenue, Gosforth, Newcastle.
Superintendent Richie Jackson, of the Central Area Command, said: "We understand the concerns of the local community and extra officers are in the area to answer any questions they may have.
"This was an isolated incident and we have now made two arrests. We do not believe there is any risk to members of the wider public.
"Despite this we would still ask anyone with any information about the stabbing to get in touch as it still could help our ongoing enquiries."
Police said they were not in a position to name the dead man.
Police have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man in Newcastle.
At around 5.45am this morning (Sept 5) officers were called to Park Avenue in Gosforth to reports that a 42-year-old man had been stabbed.
Police and paramedics attended and the victim was taken to hospital for treatment for chest injuries.
He was pronounced dead a short time later.
A police spokesman said the road is currently cordoned off as officers carry out their enquiries while extra patrols will be in the area to reassure concerned members of the public.
"This incident has taken place in a quite residential street and I appreciate residents in the area may be concerned. However, this is an isolated incident and we do not believe that there is any risk to the wider community as the parties involved had both been at a private property prior to the incident. Our officers will be carrying out patrols in the area to offer reassurance to members of the public who are understandably worried that this has happened on their doorstep. We will be in the area to continue to carry out house to house enquiries throughout the course of today and a cordon will remain in place at the scene. I'd urge anyone with concerns to speak to officers. Anyone who thinks they may have information to assist us should also come forward as any information, no matter how small, may be able to help with our enquiries."
Police are asking for the public's help to try and locate a woman who was seen wandering around Gosforth in pyjamas.
A witness said the woman, aged in her 60s or 70s, appeared confused in the area around St Nicholas hospital, Jubilee Road.
Officers have checked CCTV footage and it appears the woman may have come from the Coxlodge area.
St Nicholas hospital and nearby care homes have been checked by officers and there are no missing patients or residents in the area.
Enquiries are ongoing to find the woman and ensure she is safe and well.
Two model helicopters worth thousands of pounds have been stolen from a shed in Newcastle.
It happened sometime between 4pm on Thursday 11 December and 3pm on Saturday 13 December. A shed on Graham Park Road, in the Gosforth area of the city, was broken into.
One model was a Century Radikal G20 helicopter, the other was a Trex 500 helicopter. Both the models are valued at around £1,500 each.
Officers want anyone with information about the crime to get in touch. Members of the public can contact Northumbria Police by calling 101.
Gosforth High Street in Newcastle will be the first street in the region to be painted with double red lines. It means drivers cannot stop there for any reason. The City Council is introducing the restriction to ease congestion but campaigners say it will put shoppers off visiting the area.