Live updates

Family of missing man desperate to uncover information

A family who are desperately seeking information to help find Russell Ward, 76, who has been missing on a Greek island for more than a month, have thanked people for their support and kindness.

We are extremely grateful for the overwhelming support and genuine feelings shown for Russell, a very special husband, father and grandpa.

Several members of the family spent around two weeks on the small island following his disappearance, walking the designated trails, searching nearby covered areas, deserted houses and caves.

We received tremendous support from locals on the island, the local army, search and rescue professionals and many volunteers from the neighbouring island Rhodes, who kindly gave up their own time to help the search. Thank you, all of you.

– Statement from Russell Ward's family

The family are asking for continued support and have dedicated Facebook and Twitter accounts devoted to a campaign to find Russell.

So much has been done to help, yet we remain desperate to uncover that vital little piece of information that may lead us to Russell.

– Statement from Russell Ward's family

Advertisement

Family moved by appeal for missing man

Russell Ward has been missing on a Greek island for over a month. Credit: North Yorkshire Police

A family who are desperately seeking information to help locate a man missing on a Greek island have thanked people for their support and kindness.

Russell Ward, 76, from Stokesley, has been missing on the Island of Tilos, near Rhodes, since Thursday 14 June 2012. It is believed he headed along the coast of Gera - south of the main port of Livadia. It is possible he may have then headed inland to complete a circular route back to Livadia.

Search and rescue efforts have so far been unsuccessful and local police are conducting a missing person investigation. The inquiry is being supported by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Anyone who can help the appeal is urged to contact the North Yorkshire Police control room on 01904 618691.

Sunderland family blast Greek legal system

The trial into the death of Joe Arthur has been delayed again Credit: ITV

The family of a Sunderland man who was killed on holiday in Greece have branded the country's legal system as 'a joke'.

Joe Arthur was attacked in a bar on the island of Corfu in September 2006 and later died in hospital.

Three men, including a barman and two doctors, were arrested and charged in connection with his death.

The barman is accused of the attack, whilst the Greek medics who treated Joe in hospital are charged with neglect leading to manslaughter after postmortem's revealed the 34-year-old died of a brain haemorrhage, and not a heart attack as they had determined.

The three men were due to go on trial on Monday but the case was adjourned for a third time. It was previously delayed in April 2010 and January 2011.

Joe's family said the delay is another setback. His sister, Tracy Page said: "The family are now hanging about here absolutely bewildered in shock."

"It can't get any worse, and it just does. The Greek justice system is an absolute joke."

Advertisement