Live updates

Hartlepool's Olympian boxer Savannah Marshall says she'll carry on fighting after Olympics

Credit: PA

Hartlepool's Olympian boxer Savannah Marshall says she'll carry on fighting after she went out in the quarter final to second seed Nouchka Fontijn from the Netherlands.

The 25-year-old middleweight lost 2:0 to her rival, just missing out on a bronze medal.

Savannah said she thought the scores might be closer:

“I thought it was close. I thought I’d won the second round and the last round but when I looked at the scores in the end it wasn’t even close.

“I didn’t win a round. I didn’t even get a vote in the third. She’s a brilliant fighter so she deserves the medal. What can I say, I haven’t got one; I’ll probably carry on after this though.”

– Savannah Marshall

Advertisement

24-year-old Yorkshire Terrier killed by another dog in Hartlepool

Jack was 24 years old, but died after being attacked by another dog in Hartlepool Credit: North News and Pictures

A 24-year-old Yorkshire Terrier called Jack, thought to be one of the oldest dogs in the UK has been killed - by another dog.

Jack was being walked at Hartlepool Marina (Basin Area) yesterday (Monday 1st August) at 9am.

The other dog involved was a black Lakeland Terrier.

The owner is described as:

  • A white male
  • Between 5 ft 3” and 5 ft 5” tall
  • Of stocky build with thinning dark hair.
  • The man was also wearing a pair of shorts which showed off his tattoos on both legs and a pair of wellington boots.

Police investigate after woman is sexually assaulted in Hartlepool

Police are appealing for information after a 20-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in Hartlepool.

It happened on Saturday 30th July at around 12:45am when the victim and a man left Yates Wine Lodge on Victoria Road. They made their way towards Middleton Grange Shopping Centre before he sexually assaulted her.

He is described as:

  • A white male
  • Around 6 ft ” tall
  • Of large build with a bald head
  • Between 40-50-years-old.
  • The man was wearing a dark top and jeans

Advertisement

Families say turning IVF into 'postcode lottery' would have been 'inhumane'

Families struggling to have children say they're delighted with a decision to keep fertility and IVF services in Hartlepool.

The NHS trust that runs them had said it could no longer provide them.

So the town's council took it to the high court - and won.

Couples have said it's the right decision, and that turning fertility treatment into a postcode lottery would have been 'inhumane.'

Watch Frances Read's report:

Fertility services to continue in Hartlepool: Council claim 'victory for democracy'

It has been announced that fertility services will continue in Hartlepool.

North Tees & Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust had previously said it couldn't recruit staff and so couldn't run a safe service. In April the council went to the High Court to appeal the decision and a new consultation was launched.

NHS Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) launched a public consultation in which it asked for the views of local people on where assisted reproduction services are located.

At a meeting at Hartlepool Civic Centre this morning the council claimed its was a "victory for democracy."

Man stabbed in Hartlepool

A man is in hospital with stab wounds following an incident in Hartlepool.

The Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) responded to a callout at around 3.15pm on July 10. The charity’s aircraft, based at Durham Tees Valley Airport, landed at Raby Gardens.

A man, in his mid-twenties, had suffered a serious chest injury and the GNAAS aircrew inserted a chest drain before he was taken to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.

Load more updates