Live updates

Advertisement

Man dies in fishing tragedy off Hartlepool coast

Credit: PA (library image)

A man has died after falling overboard a fishing boat off the coast of Hartlepool.

Cleveland Police have confirmed that the man's foot became tangled in the ropes of a fiishing net, and he fell into the water.

The man, aged 22, had been fishing with his brother, nephew and a female when the accident happened at 7.25pm on Friday.

He was in the water for a very short time before he was pulled into an RNLI lifeboat.

Sadly, he could not be saved and has since been confirmed dead.

Hartlepool man injured after scaffolding fall

A man has been airlifted to hospital after falling from scaffolding in Hartlepool. The 46 year old is believed to have fallen around four feet and suffered a back injury.

The Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) was called to the incident which happened in Nenthead, Cumbria, at around 4:40pm.

He was treated by the GNAAS doctor and paramedic team before he was flown to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, where he arrived in a stable condition.

Warning about swimming in Hartlepool Marina

Police in Hartlepool are warning of the dangers of swimming in Hartlepool Marina. Officers have received 21 calls since August 1 about young people swimming there, climbing onto boats, jumping into the water and setting off fire extinguishers.

“Large boats turn around in this area and people can’t easily be seen. Youths are putting themselves in danger of serious injury or worse and we would ask that parents remind their children of these dangers.

“We have recently identified a number of youths that had been swimming in the marina and we have visited them in their homes with their parents present to advise them of the dangers of their actions.

“We will continue to monitor the situation alongside staff at the lock office and we will put in place a dispersal notice which can enable us to disperse large groups of youths from the area.”

– Inspector Mal Suggitt, from the local Neighbourhood Policing Team

Advertisement

Hartlepool's Olympian boxer Savannah Marshall says she'll carry on fighting after Olympics

Credit: PA

Hartlepool's Olympian boxer Savannah Marshall says she'll carry on fighting after she went out in the quarter final to second seed Nouchka Fontijn from the Netherlands.

The 25-year-old middleweight lost 2:0 to her rival, just missing out on a bronze medal.

Savannah said she thought the scores might be closer:

“I thought it was close. I thought I’d won the second round and the last round but when I looked at the scores in the end it wasn’t even close.

“I didn’t win a round. I didn’t even get a vote in the third. She’s a brilliant fighter so she deserves the medal. What can I say, I haven’t got one; I’ll probably carry on after this though.”

– Savannah Marshall
Load more updates