Live updates

Firm fined after apprentice has finger amputated

A company in Northumberland has been fined thousands of pounds after an apprentice had to have his finger amputated.

The 18-year-old's left hand was crushed in machinery during the third year of his apprenticeship at Miller UK Ltd in March 2013.

Bedlington Magistrates' fined the firm £8,000 and ordered them to pay £894.95 in costs.

The teenager was working on a large guillotine cutting a piece of metal at the premises in Cramlington, which was held in place between the blade and cutting table by mechanical clamps.

As he loaded metal into the machine, his left hand got stuck between the clamps and the blade.

As well as having his index finger amputated, he also broke another finger.

This young man is now living with a permanent impairment but his injuries could have easily been avoided had Miller UK Ltd adequately assessed the risks, which would have spotted that the guard was not effective.

This failing was compounded by poor maintenance and a breakdown in the fault reporting system – which together led to one of its workers suffering severe injuries.

Guards and safety systems are there for a reason and companies have a legal duty of care to ensure they are properly fitted and working effectively at all times.

– HSE Inspector Laura Catterall

Firm fined after worker suffered radiation burns

A Hartlepool firm has been fined after a worker suffered radiation burns.

The man from Redcar, who has not been named, has severe tissue damage to the middle, ring and little fingers of his right hand after the incident in September 2012.

The Health and Safety Executive prosecuted his employers, Mistras ETS Ltd for 'serious safety failings.'

The worker was employed at the Mistras ETS Ltd’s Graythorpe Industrial Estate premises in Hartlepool, where the company provides industrial radiography services, including x-rays.

The firm was fined £30,000 and ordered to pay £4,930 in costs.

Advertisement

Beamish faces no further action over child's death

Karl Doran died last July Credit: ITV News

No further action will be taken against the Beamish open-air museum after the death of a seven year old boy.

Karl Doran, from Darlington, died after falling off a steam engine being driven by his dad, a volunteer at the museum, in July 2012.

In December an inquest jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

The Health and Safety Executive today confirmed there will be no further enforcement action.