Former Newcastle United player Joey Barton has taken to Twitter to voice his concerns that Paul Gascoigne could be dead before the end of 2013 unless the former England star's friends give him the right support in his battle against alcoholism.
Gascoigne was admitted to an intensive care unit over the weekend after he suffered complications while receiving treatment for his addiction to alcohol in a clinic in Arizona.
The former Tottenham, Newcastle, Rangers, Everton and Lazio midfielder has battled alcoholism for large parts of his life and he was admitted to the specialist clinic following his latest relapse.
Barton has also experienced troubles related to alcoholism in the past and he today gave a grim assessment of Gascoigne's predicament on Twitter.
Barton finishes the exchange by talking about the star's need for privacy in order to recover away from the limelight.
Former Newcastle United footballer Joey Barton was arrested and released on bail last night after being involved in a fight in Liverpool.
The 29-year-old was arrested on suspicion of affray after the incident outside Garlands nightclub in the city centre at 5:30am yesterday morning.
A 20-year-old man was also arrested and bailed yesterday afternoon.
Earlier, two 21-year-old men had been detained on suspicion of a public order offence. Both were released on police bail.
A Merseyside Police statement read:
Barton later tweeted that he was going on holiday to Portugal on Tuesday.
Joey Barton has confirmed on twitter that he is okay after being assaulted in Liverpool.
The 29-year-old also said he has no plans to press charges against the two men that were arrested.
Queen Park Rangers spokesman Ian Taylor said:
Former Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton has been assaulted outside a nightclub in Liverpool.
The 29-year-old, who spent four years with the Magpies, was allegedly involved in a fight with two men outside Garlands nightclub in the city centre.
Police were called to the scene at around 5:30am, and arrested two men, both 21, for a public order offence.
Queens Park Rangers confirmed the player suffered facial injuries before leaving with his girlfriend.
Barton left St James' Park for QPR on a free transfer in August 2011.