Live updates

Wife and granddaughter of George Bass issue another appeal for him to get in touch

George has been missing since Wednesday March 2 Credit: North Yorkshire Police

George Bass' wife and granddaughter have issued a further appeal for George to get in touch.

George, 77, from Harrogate, was reported missing on Wednesday 2 March 2016. The last confirmed sighting of him was in Leeds the following day when he got off a bus at Leeds bus station.

Wife Irenie, said: “Both me and your granddaughter Sabrina, want you to know that we are all so desperately worried about you. We just want you to please come home or let us know that you are safe. We love you so much and just want you to be safe.”

Inspector Alex Langley of Harrogate police, also appealed directly to George. He said: “George, if you see this appeal, please get in touch with us and let us know you are safe. It’s been over a week now and you family are beside themselves with worry. If you prefer, you can call the missing people charity in confidence.”

George is described as white, 5'6'' tall with white receding hair, hazel eyes and a pale complexion. He was last seen wearing a grey waterproof jacket with a blue fleece underneath, brown trousers, a dark blue hat, dark blue gloves and black slip-on shoes.

George has a habit of clenching his hands when he walks. When he is not wearing gloves he has a habit of touching each finger in turn to his thumb, as if he’s counting.

Anyone with information about George is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101.

Advertisement

Pair disqualified from driving after reaching 144mph speeds

21-year-old Daniel Richardson and 26-year-old James Burrows, both from the Leeds area, have been disqualified from driving for three years, 300 hours community service, suspended prison sentence.

They had both pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to dangerous driving.

They had been driving at 144 MPH on the A19 near Crathorne in North Yorkshire.

Advertisement

Teenager dies at Leeds Festival

A popular teenage guitarist who was about to go to university has died after collapsing at the Leeds Festival.

James Houghton, 19, from Hartlepool, travelled to the event with friends.

Police are investigating the "unexplained death", which is not being treated as suspicious.

A spokeswoman said: "West Yorkshire Police is investigating the circumstances surrounding the unexplained death of a 19-year-old man at the Leeds Festival.

"Police officers working at the festival were called to the on-site medical facilities at 11.22pm on Sunday August 25, following his collapse elsewhere on site.

"He was pronounced dead at the festival site. Police are not treating the death as suspicious at this time."

His family have been informed.

  1. Calendar

Minister rejects heart unit claim

The Government played no part in the decision to suspend children's heart surgery at Leeds General Infirmary, peers were told today.

Health minister Earl Howe said the decision was taken by the local health trust in agreement with the Care Quality Commission and NHS medical director Sir Bruce Keogh.

The Government strongly believes that it was the right thing to do.

It is absolutely right that the NHS should act quickly and decisively if there is any evidence that patient safety maybe at risk.

– Lord Howe

But Liberal Democrat Lord Shutt of Greetland warned there had been "murky internal health politicking" going on over the issue of children's heart surgery in Yorkshire.

Why is the Government determined to deny the people of Yorkshire a children's heart unit when Yorkshire has a population of 5.3 million - similar to Scotland, Denmark and Finland.

Yorkshire is double the size of the north east of England, where the Government is happy to see that region locally served.

– Lord Shutt of Greetland

Lord Howe said the premise of Lord Shutt's question was "incorrect", adding:

The Government has not taken a role in this matter. This is a matter which

the NHS has led. There's no agenda by the Government at all apart from our

desire to see the best possible children's cardiac services provided in this

country.

– Lord Howe
  1. National

Ex-heart tsar to play no further part in Leeds heart debate

The Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said Sir Roger Boyle would play no further part in a review of where children's heart surgery should in future be carried out.

The Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt. Credit: Suzanne Plunkett/PA Wire

The government's former heart tsar sparked controversy last week when he told the BBC he would not send his daughter for treatment at Leeds General Infirmary's child heart surgery unit.

Mr Hunt said that while Sir Roger was still one of the leading heart surgeons his role in the Safe and Sustainable process aimed at centralising children's heart surgery into specialist centres would end.

He said: "He did the right thing in informing Sir Bruce (Keogh, NHS England Medical Director) about his concerns over Leeds mortality data.

"However it is the view of Sir Bruce, with which I fully concur, his comments to the media on April 11 could be seen as pre-judging any future conclusions made by that review and so it is right he plays no further role in its deliberations."

Load more updates