Live updates


Two North East men charged with assault in Liverpool

Two men from the North East have been charged with assault by beating after a man was reportedly attacked in Liverpool city centre.

Ryan Harrison, 21, of Garesfield Gardens, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and Ryan Mason, 20, of Mowlam Drive, Stanley, County Durham were arrested along with another man from the North East after a 24-year-old man was allegedly assaulted at around 5am on Saturday morning.

They are due before Liverpool City Magistrates Court today.

CCTV images of men wanted over £30,000 theft

Police have released CCTV images of two men, after watches and jewellery worth £30,000 were stolen from a Post Office van.

Police said this man was in Grey Street around the time of the theft

The van was parked on Grey Street in the centre of Newcastle, when watches and jewellery were taken.

Northumbria Police said enquiries were ongoing and they want to hear from anyone who recognises the two men pictured, who were in the area at the time, but may be from Manchester or Liverpool.

Police believe this man could help them with their enquiries

Anyone with information should contact 101 ext 69191, quoting reference 873 24/03/14, or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Mignolet completes transfer to Liverpool

Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, 25, completes transfer to Liverpool. Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has completed a big money transfer to Liverpool this evening, June 25.

The 25-year old Belgian International was the Black Cats' outstanding performer last season.

He has moved to Merseyside for an undisclosed fee, which is thought to be in excess of £10 million.

Barton arrested after nightclub brawl

Former Newcastle United footballer Joey Barton was arrested and released on bail last night after being involved in a fight in Liverpool.

The 29-year-old was arrested on suspicion of affray after the incident outside Garlands nightclub in the city centre at 5:30am yesterday morning.

A 20-year-old man was also arrested and bailed yesterday afternoon.

Earlier, two 21-year-old men had been detained on suspicion of a public order offence. Both were released on police bail.

A Merseyside Police statement read:

"Merseyside Police can confirm that the 29-year-old man arrested on suspicion of affray has been released on bail pending further inquiries."

– Merseyside Police statement

Barton later tweeted that he was going on holiday to Portugal on Tuesday.


Barton plays down assault

Joey Barton has confirmed on twitter that he is okay after being assaulted in Liverpool.

The 29-year-old also said he has no plans to press charges against the two men that were arrested.

QPR statement on Barton assault

Queen Park Rangers spokesman Ian Taylor said:

"Joey Barton was involved in an incident in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of Monday morning.

"Barton was on his way home from a night out with his girlfriend when two men sang offensive chants and then proceeded to hit the Rs midfielder.

"Police were immediately on the scene and arrested one man.

"Barton decided not to press charges and left the scene with his girlfriend soon after.

"The club will be making no further comment."

– Ian Taylor, QPR spokesman

Barton assaulted in Liverpool

Joey Barton was assaulted in Liverpool this morning Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

Former Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton has been assaulted outside a nightclub in Liverpool.

The 29-year-old, who spent four years with the Magpies, was allegedly involved in a fight with two men outside Garlands nightclub in the city centre.

Police were called to the scene at around 5:30am, and arrested two men, both 21, for a public order offence.

Queens Park Rangers confirmed the player suffered facial injuries before leaving with his girlfriend.

Barton left St James' Park for QPR on a free transfer in August 2011.

Load more updates