Live updates

Interviews: Firework prankster's hand permanently damaged

A teenage boy who tried to light a firework in his bedroom says he's lucky to be alive.

Dylan Cosgrove broke seven bones in his hand and had to have surgery.

He has been told he'll never be able to use his hand properly.

Dylan and his family are now helping firefighters to campaign for safety this Bonfire Night.

Kevin Gardner from the Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service says Dylan's story is a valuable warning to other youngsters tempted to misuse fireworks.

Bonfire safety tips

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue release tips for staying safe at bonfires. Credit: PA

Ahead on Bonfire celebrations Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue's are launching a bonfire safety campaign.

Their plans include a schools education programme, an inspection of outlets storing fireworks, a social media and public relations campaign, as well as a dedicated website.

Officers from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service will be visiting secondary schools across the area to talk to children and young people about the dangers relating to the misuse of bonfires and fireworks, and to highlight the consequences of anti-social behaviour.

Here are their tips for staying safe at bonfires this year:

  • Attend an organised display rather than having your own bonfire,
  • Report illegal bonfires that are being built to your local council,
  • Call 999 to report any illegal bonfires that have been lit,
  • Remember: alcohol and fireworks don't mix,
  • Always supervise children around fireworks,
  • Never give sparklers to children under five,
  • Keep pets indoors and
  • Bring your wheelie bin when it is empty it, or it is an arson target.

Advertisement

Around The House: Tonight at 11.40pm

Paul Brand with guests Julie Elliott MP, Lord Shipley, Anne McIntosh MP and Jonathan Arnott MEP Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

Our political programme Around The House returns tonight. Paul Brand and guests discuss regional powers for the North, in the light of the Scottish referendum.

There is also a lively studio debate on the impact UKIP could have in the North East, when the country goes to the polls next May.

Around The House is at 11.40pm tonight (Thursday 23 Oct) on ITV.

Advertisement

220 jobs to go as Middlesbrough Council slash £14.1m

Another 220 jobs are being cut at Middlesbrough Council as the authority plans to slash its budget by a further £14.1million for the year 2015/16.

Mayor Ray Mallon outlined 51 cost saving proposals to councillors. They include reducing administrative support teams and transferring some staff, as well as services, to other organisations.

There are also plans to raise council tax by 2%.

Mayor Ray Mallon Credit: PA

Mayor Mallon insists that as many of the job losses as possible will be made up from voluntary redundancies and early retirement. He hopes to protect frontline services.

Since 2011, Middlesbrough Council has made £60.5million cuts to try and balance the books. That has resulted in 728 job losses, with a further 600 more expected up to the financial year 2019/20.

The latest proposals go out to consultation until December.

Ray Mallon also told councillors that a rise in the demand for children's and vulnerable adult services meant that by 2020, it is likely that 73% of the council's budget will be spent on those areas.

20 North East historic sites added to 'at risk' register

Twenty historic sites across the North East have been added to an 'at risk' register due to their condition.

English Heritage publishes an annual report which identifies listed buildings and historic sites most at risk of loss or decay.

Since last year, 27 sites have been removed from the list after investments of £768,000 in the region.

In the North East:

  • 8 buildings or structures have been taken off the Register and 5 have been added.
  • 4 churches and places of worship have been taken off the Register and 9 have been added.
  • 14 archaeological sites have been removed from the Register and 3 have been added.
  • 1 conservation area, Spittal in Berwick upon Tweed, has been removed from the Register this year, 3 conservation areas including Alnwick, Northumberland and Chester-le-Street, County Durham have been added.
St James Church, Benwell Credit: English Heritage
  • The 13th century Church of St Andrew Winston on the banks of the River Tees has been added to the list this year. There are several structural issues in the building and the roof needs repairing. The congregation has agreed a repair project. The work is underway with financial help from English Heritage and the Heritage Lottery Fund, and is due to be completed by 2015.
Hamsterley Hall,Hamsterley Mill,Rowlands Gill,County Durham. Credit: English Heritage
  • Hamsterley Hall has suffered from decades of decline leaving the property with an estimated repair bill of £4m. The hall was already on the Heritage At Risk register but is now classified at the highest level of risk.
Coquet Island, Northumberland Credit: English Heritage
  • Coquet Island is one of a number of remote islands off the Northumberland coast. The remains of a monastic cell and a medieval tower have been removed from the Heritage at Risk register this year after a repair project and grant of £93,000 from English Heritage.
Load more updates