During the trial's closing speeches Nicholson did not return to his bail hostel and failed to attend court.Read the full story ›
Three men accused of the murder of a Sunderland man could face trial by next May.
Dalton Barnett, Charles Lamont and Raymond Brown are all accused of killing David Walsh.
Mr Walsh, 45, of Fuller Road, Hendon, Sunderland, died after an incident at Canon Cockin Street in the city last Friday.
The three accused men appeared at Newcastle Crown Court via video link to HMP Holme House. All of them spoke only to confirm their names and were not asked to enter pleas to the murder charge.
A trial, which is estimated to last up to five weeks, has been listed for May 31 but is subject to change.
Barnett, 19, of Fuller Road, Lamont, 40, of Villette Road and Brown, 36, of Canon Cockin Street, all Sunderland, made no application for bail.
Judge Paul Sloan QC told them: "February 11 is the next time you will appear in court. In the meantime, you are remanded in custody. "
A man with a sleep disorder who had been told he should not be driving has been convicted of killing a father-of-three who was out cycling.Read the full story ›
Police are asking for the public's help to trace a man they want to find after he failed to appear at a court hearing.
Officers are carrying out enquiries to trace Wayne James Stuart - alias Wayne Gaffing, 32, of no fixed abode.
He was due to appear at Newcastle Crown Court on March 6th but failed to turn up to his hearing. A warrant has been issued by the court.
- Anyone who knows of his whereabouts are asked to call police on 101.
Witnesses claim David Blackburn was armed with a knife during the car park confrontation at Aldi in Sunderland last November.Read the full story ›
A teenager has admitted to raping a woman in a park in Newcastle.
The victim was a attacked as she walked through Exhibition Park in the city centre in the early hours of June 21.
Bobby Barclay, 18, of Edgeware Road in Gateshead, pleaded guilty to a single charge of rape at Newcastle Crown Court. Barclay will be sentenced in September after the preparation of reports, which will include an assessment of dangerousness.
McManus, who hid in a wardrobe after trying to steal items from his friend, pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary at Newcastle Crown Court.Read the full story ›
A man has been told he faces a substantial jail term after admitting raping a woman.
Gareth Butler was due to face trial when he pleaded guilty at Newcastle Crown Court to committing the offence in October last year.
The 26-year-old also admitted two charges of actual bodily harm at a previous court hearing.
He was also charged with three other offences of common assault, which the judge has now ordered to lie on file.
You have come to your senses and pleaded guilty to this offence of rape.
You must appreciate that you face a substantial period in custody."
Butler, of Nidderdale Avenue, Houghton Le Spring, will be sentenced on March 17.
The trial of a senior social worker accused of sex attacks on vulnerable boys has been thrown out of court.
Brian Tansey was accused of five counts of abuse at Washington Hall residential school on Wearside and targeting another count during a trip with a different school.
The case against the 69-year-old was dropped at Newcastle Crown Court on its second day due to inconsistencies in the first alleged victim's account of what happened in the witness box.
Judge Brian Forster entered a not guilty verdict against all six charges Mr Tansey had faced and denied.
Judge Forster said the "right decision" had been made in the light of the difficulties.
The judge commended those concerned in Operation Viola, which the case was part of, which saw two social workers jailed for a total of almost 40 years for attacks on boys in similar circumstances.
John Duncan, 61, was sentenced to 24 years for abuse at schools, including Feversham, and Kevin Brown, 58, was jailed for 14 years for sex attacks at
Nine men are beginning prison terms after what has been called the biggest ever drugs bust in the North East of England. Heroin and amphetamines worth £55m were seized along with almost half a million pounds in cash.
The man at the very top even pretended to run a charity as a cover for the money he made.