Live updates

Advertisement

Newcastle winger Townsend dropped from England squad

Newcastle United winger Andros Townsend training with England Credit: Adam Davy/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Newcastle United winger Andros Townsend has not been included in England's 23-man squad for Euro 2016.

The 24-year-old, who joined the Magpies in January 2016, had been named in the preliminary 26-man squad but is one of three players to have been axed by England boss Roy Hodgson.

Townsend will now miss this summer's tournament in France, along with Leicester City midfielder Danny Drinkwater and Manchester City midfielder Fabian Delph.

David Ginola back home after health issues

Credit: PA

David Ginola has revealed he is home after his recent health issues - and thanked wellwishers for their support.

The 49-year-old former Newcastle and France international winger underwent quadruple heart bypass surgery.

Ginola collapsed while playing football at a celebrity golf tournament - but tweeted shortly afterwards to allay fears about his health.

And on Monday he was keen to thank people for their support, tweeting: "Home at last! Thanks so much to all of you for your incredible messages of love and affection! They do help my recovery."

Benitez: what the papers say...

What the papers are saying about Rafa Benitez...

The Chronicle - Rafa Benitez's plan to transform the Magpies as he agrees to stay

The Northern Echo - Rafa: I can lead Newcastle straight back to the Premier League and I won't have to sell a single player

The Mirror - Benitez to retain relegated club's stars, win instant promotion and then chase trophies

The Sun - Rafa wants to fire the club back to the Premier League on his first attempt

The Telegraph - Benitez accepts Newcastle challenge and will have full control at St James' Park

Advertisement

Benitez drops in at Disabled Supporters Association party

Rafa Benitez first act after signing a new 3 year deal at Newcastle United was to drop in at the Newcastle United Disabled Supporters Association end of season party.

The group said they were delighted he came by.

WATCH: Benitez's full press conference after signing a new 3 year deal at Newcastle United

Newcastle United are have confirmed that Rafa Benitez will remain as Newcastle United manager, after signing a new three-year contract.

The deal commits the Spaniard to Tyneside until at least the summer of 2019.

The club say Benitez will have day-to-day responsibility for all football-related matters at the club.

Watch the full press conference below:

Benitez says he's convinced the club can go up next season

Rafa Benitez Club History

Its been confirmed that Rafa Benitez is staying on as Newcastle United manager.

This time last year he was manager of Real Madrid and now he'll be manager of a Championship club. Newcastle are his fourth club in five years.

  • Tenerife 2000-2001
  • Valencia 2001-2004
  • Liverpool 2004-2010
  • Inter Milan June 2010- December 2010
  • Chelsea 2012-2013
  • Napoli 2013-2015
  • Real Madrid June 2015-January 2016
  • Newcastle United 11 March 2016-present
Load more updates