Live updates

Family of Newcastle University student issue statement following his death

The parents of a Newcastle University student who was found dead have described him as a "kind, caring, intelligent and very talented" young man.

The family of James Steen said the 23-year-old's sense of humour had touched everyone he met. He was a student at Newcastle University's School of Arts and Cultures.

Three men are on police bail after being arrested over the unexplained death.

"We have lost our darling son. Words simply can not convey the pain we are currently experiencing.

"James enriched our lives, and the lives of others, in so many ways.

"He was a kind, caring, intelligent and very talented young man, with a generous spirit. He touched everyone he met with his positivity and his sense of humour."

– Family statement

"We are devastated by James' untimely death, but we are comforted by knowing how much he was loved and admired by his family, friends and university colleagues. We are immensely proud of our son, and all he achieved and the significant mark he made during his brief time on this earth.

"As we come to terms with our loss, we would ask the media to respect our need for privacy at this difficult time."

– Family statement

Newcastle student death: three men arrested

Warwickshire Police are conducting an investigation following the unexplained death of a Newcastle University student.

Shortly after 6am on Saturday 5 July the Ambulance Service alerted police to the death of James Steen, a 23-year-old man, at a property on Wood Street in Rugby.

His death is currently being treated as unexplained but as part of police enquiries three local men, aged 31, 29 and 25, were arrested on suspicion of murder on Saturday morning.

They were interviewed over the weekend and have since been bailed until September while investigations continue.

Advertisement

Student appears in court accused of making explosives

A Russian student arrested after bomb scares at Newcastle University has appeared in court, charged with making or possessing an explosive substance.

Vladimir Aust is also accused of carrying two lock knives when he was arrested in central London. His trial was listed for November 11th.

Vladimir Aust court drawing
An artist sketched Vladimir Aust during a previous court appearance Credit: Priscilla Coleman

Aust appeared at Newcastle Crown Court via videolink from Pentonville Prison. He spoke only to confirm his name and that he could hear proceedings. No application was made for bail.

Prosecutor Diane Spence told the court Aust was initially arrested under terrorism prevention provisions but added "those provisions no longer apply".

The explosives charge requires permission from the Attorney General to be proceeded with, which the prosecutor said was "in hand".

Russian student in court over university bomb scare

Court artists drawing of Vladimir Aust at Westminster Court

An 18-year-old Russian student has appeared in court in London following an incident involving explosives at Newcastle University.

Vladimir Aust has been charged with making explosive substances.

He is also accused of carrying two knives when he was arrested near the Russian embassy in London.

Parts of the University were evacuated on two separate occasions last week.

Mr Aust was remanded in custody and will appear at Newcastle Crown Court on June 23rd.

A second teenager, also Russian, is on police bail pending further inquires.

Advertisement

Man charged over Newcastle University evacuation

Newcastle University was evacuated twice when suspicious item were discovered Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

Police have a charged an man in connection with the evacuation of Newcastle University.

The 18-year-old was arrested in London on Tuesday June 10, on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act.

He has been charged with possession of a bladed article in a public place and manufacture of an explosive substance.

He has been remanded in custody and will appear before Magistrates in London tomorrow, Tuesday June 17, 2014.

A second 18-year-old man, arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation, remains on police bail pending further enquiries.

Newcastle Uni explosives case: one man bailed

The North East Counter Terrorism Unit says one of the two men being questioned about incidents surrounding Newcastle University has now been released on bail.

The student, aged 18 and from Russia, had been arrested in Newcastle on Wednesday on suspicion of offences under the Explosives Act.

A second student, also aged 18 and from Russia, was arrested in London on Tuesday on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act.

He remains in custody.

Buildings at Newcastle University were evacuated, and the area sealed off, after police searched a room in a halls of residence and discovered explosives.

These were safely detonated on the Town Moor by bomb disposal experts.

Newcastle Uni staff alerted police to change in student

An investigation into suspected terrorism offences began because Newcastle University staff contacted police to alert them to a change in a student's behaviour, police have confirmed.

At that point they believed a student may have been carrying a knife. A university neighbourhood officer and university staff searched a bedroom in the INTO building in Newcastle city centre, and found a number of items which gave them cause for concern.

Since then two Russian students at the university have been arrested, one on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act and another on suspicion of offences under the Explosives Act.

Northumbria Police Assistant Chief Constable Jo Farrell explained how it unfolded.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories