An 18-year-old Russian student has been charged with making an explosive substance after a bomb scare at Newcastle University.
Officers gave this update, which we are publishing in full, into an investigation at Newcastle University.
An 18-year-old man is still being questioned by police following yesterday's evacuation of Newcastle University. He was arrested in London.
Police have released more details about an ongoing operation at Newcastle University, after explosive substances were found in a student's room.
Earlier, a building in the city centre was evacuated and sealed off for the second time in three days.
Helen Ford sent this update from outside the news conference at Northumbria Police headquarters:
The North East Counter Terrorism Unit has confirmed that two men, both aged 18, remain in police custody in connection with an investigation into potentially suspicious substances at Newcastle University.
- The first 18 year old was arrested in London on Tuesday 10th June on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act
- The second 18 year old was arrested in the Northumbria Police force area on Wednesday 11th June on suspicion of offences under the Explosives Act
Officers have been granted extensions to give them more time to question the men.
The North East Counter Terrorism Unit has assumed responsibility for the investigation of the incident at the Newcastle University campus.
A spokesman for Northumbria Police said she believed the evacuation of a building at Newcastle University was an isolated incident.
She said that substances found early this morning had been safely removed but that officers did not know what yet what those substances were.
– Chief Supt Laura Young, Northumbria Police
We believe that this is an isolated incident."On Tuesday the police were called to attend the university and, as a result of the substances found, the EOD [explosive ordnance disposal, ie bomb disposal squad] came down as a precaution.
"We do not know what the substances are. Then as a result these searches continued and in the early hours of this morning there were further substances found.
"As a precaution students were evacuated from the the building. There hasn't been a requirement to do a controlled explosion like the one required on Tuesday.
"The substances were safely removed."
Police have removed the cordon around Newcastle University. Two student buildings, including the INTO centre for international students, were evacuated while police and British Army bomb disposal teams investigated the area.
Police have released further details about the buildings that were evacuated this morning (June 12). The King's Gate administration building and the INTO accommodation block, which are adjacent to each other, were both temporarily evacuated.
The admin building is now open and staff have been able to return. The INTO accommodation block remains closed to allow further investigation to take place. All students have been relocated to alternative accommodation.
Northumbria Polic say that the ongoing activity at Newcastle University this morning is necessary to support an investigation centring around 'explosive offences linked to substances recovered from the university.'
A small amount of a 'potentially suspicious substance' was found in the early hours.
Students at Newcastle University have been speaking about how they were woken up and told to leave their rooms early this morning (Thursday) as more suspicious items were found in the INTO faculty building.
The alarm was raised at 4.30am and a cordon has remained in place as investigations continue.
Bomb disposal experts have returned to Newcastle University as more suspicious items were recovered overnight at the same location were items were discovered on Tuesday.
Chief Superintendent Laura Young at Northumbria Police said: "Overnight a small amount of a potentially suspicious substance has been recovered from the same location and will be removed from the building in due course.
"The building has temporarily been evacuated as a precaution and EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) are in attendance at the university building."
Two 18-year-old Russian students who have been arrested in connection with Tuesday's incident are still being questioned by police.