Graeme Mason, from Newcastle Airport, says allowing Scotland to set its own tax agenda could open a 'Pandora's box' in our region. He's concerned, particularly, that air passenger duty (usually around £80 to £100 per person) could be scrapped north of the border, meaning passengers might choose to fly from elsewhere. The proposals are yet to be finalised.
A look ahead at the forecast for the Border region.Read the full story ›
This autumn is on course to become the third mildest on record.Read the full story ›
The North East’s largest business organisation has warned that devolution of tax powers to Scotland could harm the North East economy.Read the full story ›
Here are some key facts and figures about East Coast main line rail company.
It has been announced that a consortium involving Virgin Trains and Stagecoach will run the East Coast main line franchise from next year.
- Passenger journeys have increased by 1.1m in the past five years.
- Journeys between Scotland and London have increased by 23%.
- Customer satisfaction has increased from 89% in 2009 to 91% in 2014.
- Revenue has increased from £581.3m in 2008-2009 to £652.6m to 2013-14.
- East Coast invested £48m since 2009.
- The taxpayer has received £1 billion back in premium payments and profits.
- In partnership with Network Rail, redeveloped Newcastle station through an £8.6 million investment
- East Coast - based in York - employs 2,800 people based at stations, depots and offices from London to Inverness.
- East Coast’s Highland Chieftain service is Britain’s longest single continuous train journey operating daily between London and Inverness, a distance of 581 miles, and taking 8 hours and 6 minutes.
- Since the spring of 2011, East Coast has been recognised by numerous industry organisations, and the Company has been the recipient of 55 such awards
A cloudy and misty day with occasional rain or drizzle, together with extensive low cloud and hill fog.
Rain will become more patchy later in the day. Cool with a southeasterly breeze. Maximum Temperature 9C.
The bravery and courage of 26 of our most deserving and inspirational children will be recognised later today (November 27) at a special ceremony at St James' Park in Newcastle.
Each child will receive a Brave Hearts crystal plinth in recognition of the inspirational courage and strength they have shown in battling illness or adversity.
Another cloudy day on Thursday with occasional rain or drizzle along with extensive low cloud and hill fog, but most parts becoming dry by evening.
Maximum Temperature 8C.