Former Newcastle United Nile Ranger has pleaded not guilty to a charge of criminal damage today (April 29).
The Swindon Town FC striker entered the plea at Swindon Magistrates' Court in Wiltshire.
The alleged offence relates to damage at a block of flats in the town earlier this month.
Ranger, 23, of Gordon Gardens, Swindon, will go on trial at the court on July 17.
The former Premiership player was released on bail.
Former Newcastle United striker Nile Ranger, who is accused of raping a woman in a hotel, deleted a "trophy photo" from his phone minutes before handing it in to the police because "he knew it would give the game away", a court has heard.
The 22-year-old took the picture of some bedding, a room key and a notepad in the £30-a-night hotel after allegedly raping a woman who he had been out drinking with.
However, after being arrested he removed the image from his phone just before he handed over his belongings at the police station.
Asking Ranger about why he had taken the picture, Christine Egerton, prosecuting, said:
"Its not that you wanted a trophy is it?" and went on to accuse him of removing it because it was incriminating.
"You deleted that image from the phone that you had secreted on you minutes before," she said.
"You had been deleting an incriminating image because you knew you had to hand your property over. You knew that it would give the game away, you knew you had done something wrong."
Now with Swindon Town, and nursing a hamstring injury which meant he sat down to give evidence at Newcastle Crown Court, Ranger denies raping the woman and insists they had consensual sex.
He said he did not view the picture to be a trophy because it was not very pleasant and told the jury he could not remember why he had taken it.
Earlier, he said he had never engaged in sexual activity with a woman against her wishes and that the pair had engaged in sex in different positions.
The alleged victim says she was raped in the Carlton Hotel, Jesmond, after agreeing to meet the footballer in a city centre bar.
She said she could not remember anything until she woke up naked in the hotel room the next morning.
Ranger told her she should take the morning after pill and she left, she said, and they continued to swap messages that day.
She then visited her GP, was checked at hospital and made a rape allegation to police.
Ranger denies a charge of rape and the case was adjourned until Monday.
A court has heard that a former Newcastle United player had 'plenty of female attention' but did not rape a woman at a hotel in the city last year. 22 year old Nile Ranger denies the allegation, insisting the act was consensual. From Newcastle Crown Court, Jonny Blair reports.
Lawyers acting for Nile Ranger are due to start making their defence later today in the ongoing trial of the former Newcastle United footballer.
The striker, who now plays for Swindon Town, is accused of raping a woman in a Newcastle hotel last year. He denies the charge.
The case continues at Newcastle Crown Court.
Former Newcastle United footballer Nile Ranger has been charged with rape, police said.
The London-born 22-year-old will appear in court next month following an investigation by Northumbria Police.
In a statement the force said: "A rape was reported to police on Thursday January 24, 2013, and relates to an incident which happened in the early hours of Wednesday January 23 at a hotel in Jesmond.
"Nile Ranger, 22, of Bailey Close, Harringay, London, has been charged with rape. He is due to appear before Newcastle Magistrates' Court on August 21."
Ex-Newcastle United footballer Nile Ranger has admitted a charge of common assault following a city centre incident.
Ranger appeared before Newcastle Magistrates' Court on Friday.
Court officials confirmed he admitted a charge of common assault.
He was given conditional bail and will appear again on 9 April for sentence.
Ex-Newcastle United footballer Nile Ranger will appear in court to face a charge of common assault.
The 21-year-old, who left the Premier League club by mutual consent a fortnight ago, was arrested after police received reports of a fight between a couple in the city centre on Wednesday evening.
The London-born former England under-19 player was held after an alleged assault in the car park of The Gate entertainment complex.
A Northumbria Police spokesman said they received a report of a fight just after 7pm on Wednesday in the car park of The Gate, Newcastle, adding that a 21-year-old had been arrested.
A force spokesman said later that Ranger will appear before Newcastle Magistrates' Court on Friday.
Former Newcastle United player Nile Ranger has been arrested on suspicion of assault.
The 21-year-old, who left Newcastle United "by mutual consent" earlier this month, was arrested after police were called to the car park area of The Gate complex in Newcastle yesterday evening.
A statement from the police confirmed that they had received reports of a fight shortly after seven o'clock on the evening of Wednesday 13 March and a 21-year-old was arrested on suspicion of assault.
He is currently in police custody and helping police with their enquiries.
Striker Nile Ranger is leaving Newcastle United after a turbulent time at the club.
The 21-year-old has recently had running battles with Newcastle supporters on Twitter, but tonight used his account simply to say, "I'm happy."
Nile Ranger came through the ranks at Newcastle, but only five of his 51 league appearances have come as starts, and he has scored just three goals since making his debut in 2009.
In January, he was held by police following an allegation made by a woman that she was attacked at a hotel in Jesmond.
His arrest came after Ranger angered Newcastle fans by criticising them for booing after Newcastle lost to Reading the previous weekend.
He went on to enrage them further by apparently spelling his name out in £20 notes and posting a photo online.