A 16-year-old girl said to associate with criminals feared to be involved in sex trafficking should be placed into secure accommodation for her own protection, a family court judge has ruled.
Social services bosses from North Tyneside Council asked Judge Jeremy Freedman to rule that the teenager - who is in local authority care - should go into a secure unit at a family court hearing in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Lawyers for the council said social workers had long been involved with the girl.
They said she had been absconding from a residential home and associating with criminals who might be involved in sex abuse and sex trafficking.
The girl told the judge that she did not want to go into a secure unit and did not understand why the council wanted her to.
But the judge concluded that it would be in the youngster's best interests to place her in a secure unit for three months.
The girl cannot be identified.
On 5 May, voters on North Tyneside will chose whether to retain an elected mayor, or move to a committee system of council decision makingRead the full story ›
More than 200 photographs have gone on display at St George's Church in Cullercoats to celebrate 130 years of weddings at the venueRead the full story ›
43-year-old James Prout, known as Jimmy, had not been seen by friends or family since early February.Read the full story ›
Police are appealing for information to try and find two missing people from North Tyneside.
Officers say they're becoming increasingly concerned for the welfare of 25-year-old Anne Corbett and 43-year-old James 'Jimmy' Prout, who lived together on St Stephen's Way in Percy Main.
Anne was last seen at around 8am yesterday morning (Friday, March 25) near to her home, while Jimmy has not been seen since early February.
Anne is described as:
- Of larger build
- Having brown hair
- She was last seen wearing a navy blue and white jacket, black trousers and brown Ugg boots
Jimmy is described as:
- Of slim build
- Around 5ft9in tall, with very short brown hair and some facial hair
- His clothing is unknown at this moment in time
North Tyneside Council has confirmed it is prepared to sign up to the North East devolution agreement to establish the North East Combined Authority.
The decision was made at a council meeting tonight.
“For too long decisions about this region and our residents have been made in London by people who don’t necessarily understand the needs of our communities.
“Here in North Tyneside we want important decisions about this region to be taken here in the north east, not in London. We want the power to invest in our own economy and create jobs. We also want to have better regulation of our local transport, including setting bus fares and bus routes; and making sure that skills funding is targeted at local business needs.
Councillors gave a positive endorsement to establish the North East Combined Authority as a Mayoral Combined Authority.Read the full story ›
The 27-year-old victim was allegedly raped after a night out in Whitley Bay. Police have arrested a 39-year-old man in connection.Read the full story ›
A man from West Denton has been charged with making explosives.
Mark Thomas Gilhespy, 50, of Beltingham, has been charged with two counts of making/having explosives in suspicious circumstances.
He will appear at North Tyneside Magistrates' Court on March 4.
Searches of address in West Denton are ongoing. Northumbria Police are stressing that there is no risk to the public.
One of the region's largest offshore engineering firms, OGN, says its had to shed 2 and a half thousand jobs, in just 3 months.
The company, based on Tyneside, says global investment in the sector has dried up.
One industry expert has warned that the North East must brace itself for a difficult few years.
Jonny Blair reports on the state of the industry: