The police watchdog has found that Northumbria Police failed to record nearly a third of reported crime.Read the full story ›
A worrying new inspection has found that some of our police forces are not recording many of the crimes the public report, with one sample showing that Northumbria didn't record nearly a third of reported crimes in one year.
The police watchdog HMIC also said that there was limited evidence that Northumbria had a 'victim-centred' approach last year, and found that some junior managers were 'locked into a performance culture' and tried to have the number of crimes reduced. Northumbria police said it has addressed the concerns and it now sends an officer to see every victim.
A teenage boy has been found wandering the streets in North Tyneside beaten and burned after a house party.
Police discovered the 16-year-old with a fractured cheekbone, lighter burns on his back, arm and hand and swelling to his head and nose, at the A189 Annitsford Roundabout at around 9:30am yesterday morning.
They believe his injuries happened at a party in the Seaton Delaval area on Friday night.
Anyone with information about the party should contact police on 101 ext 69191 quoting reference number 467 15/11/14
Three masked men broke into a house in Sunderland and threatened a man with a samurai sword.
Police are appealing for information after the aggravated burglary in the Retreat at 7:30am this morning.
They stole his mobile phone and cash before fleeing, leaving the victim shaken but unhurt.
A 29-year-old man has been arrested.
We want to hear from anyone who was in the Retreat or Chester Road area around 7:30am this morning and who saw three men acting suspiciously or wearing masks.
If you were in that area this morning and have any information that could help us then I'd ask that you contact us as soon as possible.
Emergency services have stopped searches for a man who they believed may have entered the river in Morpeth.
Officers on patrol near Whorral Bank saw the man, who's in his 40's, on the riverbank, just after 2am this morning.
But when they went to check on him, he'd disappeared.
Searches on the River Wansbeck close to where he was last seen have found no trace of him or any signs he went into the water.
Emergency services are searching a section of the River Wansbeck at Whorral Bank, Morpeth for a man feared to have gone into the water.
Officers saw a man in his 40s next to the riverbank at around 2am this morning but when they went to look for him, they found no sign of him.
Police are asking for anyone with information to contact them.
Police have warned that no-one is above the law after the ring leader of a drug gang in Newcastle was jailed.
Mark Johnston, 43, of North Avenue in Westerhope, was sentenced to 18 years in prison yesterday after being found guilty of conspiracy to supply class A drugs.
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Milner, of Northumbria Police, said:
Johnston was at the head of an organised crime group involved in drug supply across Newcastle and while the city has no more of a problem with drugs than any other city of its size, this is the response those involved can expect.
The main ring leader will now spend a considerable amount of time in prison and an organised crime groups activity has been significantly disrupted.
Operation Magnet is our response to priority and organised crime and our message is simple - anyone who is involved in the supply of drugs can expect to be visited by police and similar action taken.
A drug dealer from Newcastle has been sentenced to 18 years in prison.
Mark Johnston, 43, of North Avenue in Westerhope, was found guilty of conspiracy to supply class A drugs at Newcastle Crown Court earlier this year. He was given an 18 year prison sentence on Friday.
Johnston was arrested last year as part of a large scale operation targeting drug dealing and organised crime. Police carried out 15 warrants across Newcastle, making numerous arrests and seizing cash and drugs as part of the operation.
Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner Vera Baird has responded to the announcement 54 rape cases are to be re-opened.
This is after a recent audit by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) found some reports of rape in the North East may have been incorrectly recorded as "no crime".
Vera Baird says the force took immediate action, acting before the publication of the report, and are the only force which has taken such a strong stance on the issue, though many forces have far higher rates of 'no criming' than Northumbria.
"The action being taken is right and will get to the root of the issues and I am confident that progress is being made and victims are being dealt with sensitively and appropriately.
“I am continuing to monitor the situation closely and receive weekly updates from the Chief Constable. Where mistakes have been made and, all the more if there has been any falling short of duty, the police will learn the lessons. The Chief Constable and I are determined to ensure the service offered to victims of serious sexual crime is of the very highest standard.”
Northumbria Police has re-opened 54 rape cases for further investigation. It follows an audit by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) which showed some rape cases may have been incorrectly recorded as 'no crime'.
The Chief Constable of Northumbria ordered further checks to be made on all such reports since October 2011. A team of experienced officers looked at 153 cases and have decided 54 require further investigation.
"Each case will be reinvestigated by the review team. This will include contacting the victims in these identified cases and our main priority is to support them through this process.
“We are progressing this speedily but thoroughly, mindful of the impact this can have on victims when we speak to them again about their experiences.
“I want to reassure anyone reporting such crimes to us that we will listen to them, take them seriously, investigate thoroughly and bring offenders to justice whenever we can.”
48 officers who were involved in the cases identified in the audit, and those who supervised the investigations, have been served with formal notifications and those in the Rape Investigation Team have been moved to other teams. Northumbria Police says this is standard procedure and a temporary measure.
“This does not necessarily mean they are guilty of serious issues. This is entirely dependent on the findings of the investigation. If any officer has failed to reach the high standards expected of them rest assured this will be dealt with through the proper procedures.
Following the re-opening of cases a 50 year old man has been arrested in the Slatyford area of Newcastle in connection with a rape in March this year and has been bailed.