Live updates

Funeral of Shane Tunney takes place on Teesside

Shane Tunney Credit: Cleveland Police

The funeral of Shane Tunney has been taking place on Teesside on Friday October 23.

The 24-year-old died from head injuries after he was attacked in Norton after a night out in June. He died just over a month later in hospital.

Seven males have been charged with murder.

The funeral cortège Credit: ITV News

Advertisement

Appeal to trace woman who made anonymous phone call in Shane Tunney investigation

Police have made a direct appeal to trace a woman who made an anonymous phone call from a telephone box in Billingham in connection with the Shane Tunney murder investigation.

Officers would like to appeal to the woman directly as it is believed she may have further information, which could assist the investigation.

The 24-year-old suffered severe head injuries after an attack on Holly Street in Norton on June 27th. He died almost five weeks later.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Steve Young, said:

From enquiries we know that the call was made from a telephone box at South View, Billingham, at 10.32pm on Thursday 9th July.

I would urge the woman that made that call to contact police again as I believe that she may have further information which could assist this investigation. She can speak to me directly, by calling 101, or I can call her back if she wants to leave her contact details.

I also believe that there are still people in the wider community who have not yet come forward with information which could assist police.

– Steve Young

Seven males aged between 16 and 18 have appeared in court charged with murder.

Seven teenagers remanded on Norton murder charge

Seven teenagers have appeared at Teesside Magistrates' Court this morning charged with murder in connection with the death of Shane Tunney.

The 24-year-old suffered severe head injuries after an attack on Holly Street in Norton on June 27th. He died in hospital almost five weeks later.

The seven teenagers have been remanded in custody and are due to appear at Teesside Crown Court on September 21st.

Shane Tunney murder case: Seven teenagers charged

Seven teenagers have been re-arrested and charged with murder in connection with the death of Shane Tunney.

The 24-year-old suffered severe head injuries after an attack on Holly Street in Norton on June 27th. He died in hospital almost five weeks later.

Shane Tunney pictured with his girlfriend.

Of the seven young men arrested, two are aged 16, three are 17-years-old and two are aged 18.

Five of the seven teenagers will appear at Teesside Magistrates Court on September 17th.

The other two, who are already remanded in custody, will appear in court on September 21st.

Two males, both aged 17, who were arrested on suspicion of robbery and assault, remain on bail pending further enquiries.

Shane Tunney Murder Investigation: Police appeal for woman who made anonymous call to get in touch

Shane Tunney pictured with his girlfriend Credit: Cleveland Police

Cleveland Police have appealed for a woman who made an anonymous call to them from a phone box on Thursday 9th July to get back in touch.

Officers investigating the murder of Shane Tunney had previously appealed to trace the driver of an Audi that was parked near to Tesco Express on Norton High Street between midnight and 1.50am on Saturday 27th June. Shortly after this an incident took place on Holly Street in which 24-year-old Shane suffered severe head injuries. He passed away in hospital almost five weeks later.

Shane Tunney was attacked at around 2am on Saturday 27th June. The attack left Shane in a coma for five weeks. He died on 29th July.

Nine teenagers remain on bail pending further enquiries in connection with the incident.

As a result of a recent appeal to trace the driver of an Audi, we have spoken with a man who came forward and said that he was the driver of the vehicle that evening. I would like to thank him for coming forward and speaking with us.

The investigation into the murder of Shane Tunney remains very active. We are continuing with a number of lines of enquiry and would like to take this opportunity to again appeal to any witnesses or anyone with information to contact us. In particular, we have not had any further contact with a woman who made an anonymous call to us from a phone box on Thursday 9th July. If that woman is reading this or hearing about this appeal, I would urge her to contact us again as she may have information which could assist us.

– Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Steve Young

Advertisement

Eighth teenager arrested over murder of Shane Tunney

Cleveland Police say an eighth teenager has been arrested following the murder of Shane Tunney.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested on Friday morning (31st July) on suspicion of murder and robbery. He remains in custody.

Seven other teenagers, previously arrested, remain on bail pending further enquiries.

Shane Tunney Credit: Cleveland Police

"Again, today, I want to repeat my appeal to members of the local community. Please come forward with any information that you may have. Shane was a hero on the night of the assault and he has paid the ultimate price.”

– Detective Chief Inspector Steve Young, Cleveland Police

PICTURES: Floral tributes laid in memory of Shane Tunney

Floral tributes have been laid in Norton near the place where Shane Tunney, 24, was attacked on 27th June. He died in hospital on Wednesday (29th July) from severe head injuries he suffered in the attack.

A floral tribute to Shane Tunney Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees
Tributes left in memory of Shane Tunney Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees

Murder investigation launched into death of Shane Tunney

Shane Tunney, 24, pictured with his girlfriend Credit: Cleveland Police

Cleveland Police have launched a murder investigation into the death of Shane Tunney, 24, who died from severe head injuries in hospital on Wednesday (29th July) after he was attacked by a group of young people in Norton, on Teesside, on 27th June.

Police say Shane Tunney stopped a passing driver who offered to drive him away from the scene while his friend was was being attacked. However, when the motorist refused to help save his friend, Shane returned to help him.

"A young man has tragically lost his life. Shane went out that night and never returned home. That could have been anyone’s son or brother.

"He was a good, hard-working hero who tried to help his friend on the night of this incident, but sadly paid with his life.

"There are people in the local community who are effectively hiding murderers and I make a direct appeal to those people to get in contact with us."

– Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Steve Young, Cleveland Police

Seven teenagers arrested last month in connection with the attack remain on bail. Police are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.

Load more updates