Live updates

Advertisement

Man dies in police custody in Newcastle

Forth Banks Police Station, Newcastle Credit: Northumbria Police

A man has died in police custody in Newcastle after being arrested earlier in the day.

The man became ill at Forth Banks Police Station in the city at 3.15pm this afternoon.

He was given medical attention in his cell by paramedics and an ambulance was called but he was pronounced dead at 3.45pm.

The death has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission who say they will be carrying out a full investigation.

It comes on the same day the IPCC released their annual statistics on deaths during or following police contact.

In a statement Northumbria Police said:

"This death within our custody is a tragic incident.

"We immediately referred the death to the IPCC for independent investigation, as we would with any death in police custody, and we are assisting them fully.

"Northumbria Police takes its commitment to the welfare of prisoners extremely seriously.

"This death comes on the same day the IPCC released their annual statistics on deaths during or following police contact.

"Northumbria Police's statistics were included in this report and as a force we welcome this in the interests of openness and transparency.

"The public can be assured that Northumbria Police successfully manages the safety and welfare of thousands of prisoners each year.

"However, we do acknowledge this incident may raise concerns on the safety of our custody suites.

"Officers and staff working in the custody environment receive a higher standard of first aid training than regular officers enabling them to provide an effective, immediate response in the event of a medical emergency.

"We can give full reassurance that Forth Banks police station is a new facility with state of the art equipment such as CCTV and has medical provision.

"The IPCC investigation will look into all of these factors and we give them our full cooperation."

Advertisement

'Embittered' teen denies planning college massacre

Lyburd arriving at court in November

A court has heard that an "embittered yet highly skilled" teenager planned to carry out a mass murder at Newcastle College.

The prosecution told Newcastle Crown Court that 19 year old Liam Lyburd - a former student at the college - had built up a collection of weapons and explosives.

Lyburd pleaded guilty to nine charges, relating to making five pipe bombs and two home-made explosive devices, possessing a gun and ammunition, and possessing CS gas.

He denied eight charges of possessing the items with intent to endanger life.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that, followings concerns raised about posts on Facebook, police went to the house where Lyburd lived with his mother and sister, and found a weapons stash.

Prosecutor Nick Dry said that Lyburd told the police he had intended to carry out a mass murder at Newcastle College that same day.

The jury heard that, after being arrested, he told detectives that it had been a fantasy that he had no intention of carrying out.

The court was told that his hatred for the college stemmed from the time he had spent there as a student in 2012, when he attended for just five weeks.

The case continues.

Woman loses locket in attempted bag snatch

A woman has had a locket stolen during an attempted bag snatch in Blyth.

A man on a bike approached the 44-year-old victim on Newsham Road and tried to grab the bag she was carrying.

She managed to keep hold of it but during the struggle the offender grabbed the locket she was wearing around her neck.

Northumbria Police have just released details of the attack which happened at 5:30pm on Friday, June 26.

The offender is described as being white, in his early 20s, of thin / medium build and with brown hair.

He was wearing a sky blue hooded top and blue jeans and was riding a black BMX bike.

Anyone with any information into the theft is asked to contact police in Blyth on 101 ext 69191 quoting reference number 1125 260615.

Load more updates