A spokesperson for Outwood Grange Academies Trust has confirmed that:
“This morning 4 students fainted during the remembrance service assembly at Outwood Academy Ripon.
One of these students bumped their head when they fainted and was taken to the local walk in minor incident centre in Ripon as a precaution.
Following the assembly, a further 20 students presented themselves during the course of the morning complaining of feeling faint and dizzy. At this point the Academy, again as a precaution, called an ambulance.
The ambulance service took the decision to escalate the matter as there were more than 3 potential causalities, as is their normal procedure, and the Police and Fire Service attended the site.
The emergency services have undertaken tests on the site and have quickly established that there was no chemicals or hazardous gases were present. A total of 40 students were treated on site, however, all were able to be released back to their lessons, or at the end of the school day.
We thank the emergency services for their speedy response in attending the academy site and making the safety of our students and staff paramount.
We also thank parents, carers and the community for giving the academy the space and time to deal with this matter and know that they would always expect us to follow the instruction of the emergency services until we are satisfied that their children are not at risk.
The academy will be open as normal tomorrow.”
The school at the centre of a major alert after a group of pupils fainted is to open tomorrow as usual.
Outwood Academy School in Ripon, Yorkshire, told parents it would be operating as usual on Thursday, November 12.
You will be aware that the emergency services attended the academy today after several students reported feeling unwell. Extensive checks were made by the professionals and nothing was found.
It was concluded that there was no unnatural cause for children feeling unwell. All students returned home as normal at the end of the day. The academy is open as usual tomorrow. Thank you for your understanding."
Emergency crews have said they believe a "ripple effect" was responsible for sickness among dozens of pupils at a school in Yorkshire.
A major emergency was declared when four pupils fainted during an Armistice Day service at Outwood Academy School in Ripon.
Yorkshire fire crews carried out a sweep of the school grounds, but found no hazardous substances. A spokesman said they did not know why the children initially fell ill, but that the hall where 11am service was held was warm.
We are of the view the children just fainted and there was a ripple effect throughout the school. More children felt anxiety and started to feel concerned and the thing has escalated . [...]
We have carried out a very thorough assessment and found no hazardous materials or anything untoward in the school environment.
No evidence of carbon monoxide or hazardous materials have been found at Outwood Academy, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service have said.
Emergency crews sent a number of resources to the scene including three ambulance crews, two rapid response vehicles and a Hazardous Area Response Team after a number of students had fallen ill suddenly with nausea and feeling faint at around 11:30 this morning.
Four students fainted during a special service to commemorate Armistice Day, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed.
A spokesperson for the service has said, 44 people have been treated after a number of pupils suddenly fell ill.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service have said no hazardous substances have been found.
The Harrogate and Distrct NHS Trust has released a statement following sickness among up to 40 pupils at the Outwood Academy.
The trust said: "Two children were seen by a Nurse Practitioner at our Ripon Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) this afternoon. Neither child had a significant medical problem and both were discharged home. No patients have been admitted to our Emergency Department as a result of this incident."
A pupil at the school in Ripon where up to 40 pupils have been treated for sickness said the students began to feel unwell during the minute's silence taking place to commemorate Armistice Day.
Olivia Craft told ITV News pupils started to collapse just after 11am.
Pupils are being treated at the school, but none have been taken to hospital at this stage.
Up to 40 pupils are being treated at the scene after suddenly feeling unwell at the Outwood Academy in Ripon, the Yorkshire Ambulance Service have said.
The Ambulance Service have said they have not taken any pupils to hospital, but believe a 'couple' went to hospital of their own accord.
Crews from Ripon and Boroughbridge are at the scene alongside Hazardous Materials Specialist Officers. Emergency services were called at 12:21pm this afternoon, November 11, to reports of a number of pupils collapsing after showing signs of sickness and feeling faint.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service have sent us this update:
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call at 12:21pm to reports of a number of pupils feeling unwell at the Outwood Academy in Ripon.
Crews from Ripon and Boroughbridge are at the scene alongside Hazardous Materials Specialist Officers. A specialist detection, identification and monitoring (DIM) team from West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is also at the incident.
A number of students have been affected who have displayed signs of sickness and feeling faint. Some have been attended to by paramedics at the scene and others have been taken to hospital.
We are working with colleagues from North Yorkshire Police and Yorkshire Ambulance Service at this time to determine what has caused this occurrence.
Further information will follow as we have it.
Fire crews and hazardous materials specialist officers are at the scene of an incident at a North Yorkshire school where a number of children have fallen ill.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call at 12.21pm to reports of a number of pupils feeling unwell at the Outwood Academy in Ripon.
Firefighters are at the scene alongside Hazardous Materials Specialist Officers. They are working with the police and ambulance service to determine the cause of the incident, a spokesperson said.
A specialist detection, identification and monitoring team service is also at the scene.