Sunderland boss Gus Poyet reveals the latest on the club's £14 million pound pursuit of Liverpool striker Fabio Borini and looks back on Tuesday Night's 1-0 Friendly win away at Carlisle United.
Sunderland AFC midfielder Sebastian Larsson, 28, has signed a contract extension with the club until 2017.
The Swedish international joined the club from Birmingham City in 2011. He made 41 appearances for the Black Cats last season, scoring against Southampton in the Capital One Cup and a winner in the 1-0 victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford in May.
“I’m delighted to have signed a new deal with the club. I’ve had talks with Gus and Lee Congerton and I feel that this is a club moving in the right direction and I want to be part of it.
“I had a few options but I want to be at Sunderland and I’m looking forward to the new season.”
Sunderland AFC's manager Gustavo Poyet has signed a new contract at the Stadium of Light until 2016.
After taking over at the club in October 2013, the Uruguayan led the team to the League Cup Final and finished 14th in the Premier League.
He said: " I am delighted to extend my stay with Sunderland AFC after an unbelievable season and our famous Great Escape.
"Stability is absolutely key to long-term and sustained success for any football club and this new contract gives both the club and me that stability going forward.
“Now it's a different challenge for me and the club and I am relishing the next stage with Sunderland. We achieved so much last season, working together - the club and the fans - and we took many good memories from the season.
"The prospect of creating more of those memories is one which excites me, and now I cannot wait for the next chapter in my career and the history of Sunderland AFC.”
Sunderland AFC’s sporting director, Lee Congerton said: “We are naturally delighted that Gus has committed his long-term future to Sunderland. Our plans are well underway in terms of summer recruitment and we are working hard to bring new faces to the squad ahead of the 2014-15 season."
Poyet’s backroom team of Mauricio Taricco, Charlie Oatway, Andy Beasley (GK coach) and Antonio Pintus (fitness coach) will continue to work alongside him.
Sunderland have earned what could be a crucial point in their relegation battle after drawing 2 -2 away at Manchester City.
But they were only about ten minutes away from what would have been a terrific win.
Poyet's men were 1-0 down after just two minutes but they turned the game on its head thanks to two second half goals from Connor Wickham.
But City equalised in the 88th minute.
Sunderland have now used up their games in hand and are three points adrift at the bottom of the Premier League.
Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet will return to former club Tottenham expecting no favours from old friend Tim Sherwood.
The 46-year-old Uruguayan spent three years at White Hart Lane as a player and had a spell there as a coach too before launching his managerial career.
He played in the same Spurs side as current manager Tim Sherwood, a man he hopes is given the chance to make his mark on the team amid speculation that a replacement is already being lined up.
However, he knows will receive no sympathy from his one-time team-mate as he looks for the victory he so desperately needs to give the Black Cats renewed hope that they can out of Premier League relegation trouble.
Poyet said: "No chance. From Tim Sherwood? No, no, no, no favours."
Sunderland boss Gus Poyet says the situation surrounding Ji Dong-won "wasn't easy" for the club.
The Black Cats have been fined by the Football Association for playing the South Korean earlier in the season without international clearance. The club said in a statement the issue was a result of a "technical fault".
The 22-year-old is now with German side FC Augsburg and is joining Bundesliga giants Borussia Dortmund in the summer.
Sunderland have released the following statement:
“The issue of Ji Dong-won was explained in detail at today’s Premier League shareholders' meeting and no issues were raised by any club.
“Sunderland AFC confirmed that they had complied with all procedures and the Premier League stated that the player was duly registered on the extranet system and in all other Premier League mechanisms.
“The club has never accepted any wrongdoing, but did acknowledge that a technical fault occurred and as such were fined by the Premier League accordingly in December.
“The matter is now closed.”
Steve Bruce believes his former club Sunderland could be "in serious trouble" after it emerged the club were fined for fielding striker Ji Dong-won in four Premier League games for which he was technically ineligible.
Sunderland were fined a six-figure sum after they made the Premier League aware that they did not have international clearance for the Korean player.
Sunderland AFC have dismissed reports that the club is in turmoil and denied claims striker Ji Dong-Won was ineligible to play in Premier League matches at the start of this season.
They say Ji Dong-Won was registered with the Premier League and so was not ineligible.
This evening the club has confirmed to ITV Tyne Tees:
"There was a minor administrative issue regarding the registration of the player.
"The club was fined by the Premier League and the matter was dealt with at the time."
Ji Dong-Won featured in four Premier League games - Sunderland earned one point from the four matches, in a 1-1 draw away at Southampton.
He also featured in a Capital One cup match against MK Dons - Sunderland went on to reach the final of that competition at Wembley.
Sunderland AFC's Premier League survival hopes suffered another blow when they lost at home to West Ham. The opening goal was scored by former Newcastle striker Andy Carroll. West Ham doubled their lead in the second half when Mohamed Diami's shot deflected in.
Adam Johnson gave Sunderland fans some hope when he reduced the arrears. But it was too little too late.