A seafront hotel in Seaham was engulfed by flames during the night. The Harbour View Hotel was unoccupied and no-one was hurt. The building has partially collapsed onto the pavement and road. Durham Police say North Terrace will remain closed this morning.
A woman has been taken to hospital and two men were rescued by neighbours after a fire at a house in County Durham.
Firefighters were called to Melrose Crescent in Seaham just after midnight, June 21.
Crews rescued the woman, who was taken to hospital by ambulance.
The fire service says two neighbours used a ladder to free two men who were upstairs.
A joint police and fire investigation is now underway.
A popular World War One statue has been moved into its final position in Seaham.Read the full story ›
English and German youngsters have been re-enacting a famous football match staged during an unofficial Christmas truce in the First World War.
Pupils at the Seaham School of Technology were joined by youngsters on a visit from Germany in staging the one hundred year old match.
For a full report click below.
A concert is being held tonight to mark the 52nd anniversary of a lifeboat disaster which claimed nine lives.
On 17th November 1962, the George Elmy left Seaham Harbour for the fateful journey to try to rescue four crew and a nine year old boy from a fishing cobble which had got into difficulties.
On its return and just yards from the pier, the George Elmy was hit by two huge waves and overturned. All five lifeboat crew drowned, as well as three fisherman and the young boy.
As part of the East Durham Creates Festival an outdoor concert is taking place at Seaham Marina to commemorate those who lost their lives. It includes a composition to mark the tragedy.
The lifeboat was lovingly restored after it was found for sale on Ebay and now stands in the town's original 1870s lifeboat house.
A woman from Seaham lost a finger and very nearly lost her life after being bitten by a spider.
The venomous attack, which left Andrea Wallace with a flesh eating condition, didn't happen in a remote destination but instead in a Sunderland park, right here in the North East.
She has shared her remarkable story with Gregg Easteal:
A hairdresser from Seaham, Co Durham, had to have a finger amputated after catching a flesh-eating bug from a spider bite in England.Read the full story ›
Sightings of the false widow spider are on the rise, with it being cited as Britain's most venomous spider. But how dangerous are they?Read the full story ›
A hairdresser from Seaham had to have a finger amputated after catching a flesh-eating bug from a spider bite. Andrea Wallace was bitten by a False Widow spider. Doctors said the bite could have killed her. She was in hospital for ten weeks.
She has described the extent of her injuries, speaking of the moment she got to hospital and was rushed in where they immediately "cut her hand open" and had to act quickly because the poison was spreading to her heart.
A hairdresser from Seaham has been left without a finger after she was bitten by a False Widow spider in a field. She had been playing with her children and ended up in hospital for ten weeks. Doctors say Andrea Wallace's injury could have killed her.