Sightings of the false widow spider are on the rise, with it being cited as Britain's most venomous spider. But how dangerous are they?Read the full story ›
A hairdresser from Seaham had to have a finger amputated after catching a flesh-eating bug from a spider bite. Andrea Wallace was bitten by a False Widow spider. Doctors said the bite could have killed her. She was in hospital for ten weeks.
She has described the extent of her injuries, speaking of the moment she got to hospital and was rushed in where they immediately "cut her hand open" and had to act quickly because the poison was spreading to her heart.
A hairdresser from Seaham has been left without a finger after she was bitten by a False Widow spider in a field. She had been playing with her children and ended up in hospital for ten weeks. Doctors say Andrea Wallace's injury could have killed her.
A hairdresser from Seaham had to have a finger amputated after catching a flesh-eating bug from a spider bite. Andrea Wallace was bitten by a False Widow spider. Doctors said the bite could have killed her.
The RNLI has described a yacht fire 10 miles off the North East coast as a 'very frightening situation'. The sailor abandoned the yacht and was unhurt.
‘Fortunately the sailor was uninjured but it was very sad to see his yacht burn and then sink so quickly. We understand the boat was his home and he was sailing from Iceland to Holland, but it looks like he’s lost nearly everything.
‘He seems to have done all the right things in what must have been a very frightening situation. He launched the liferaft correctly and had everything he needed to keep safe, including a lifejacket, flares and water. He’s now being looked after by the Coastguard and we wish him well for his journey home.’
A sailor had to abandon his yacht 10 miles off the North East coast after an explosion started a fire on board.
Hartlepool RNLI helped the man at 5.50am this morning (August 22). When volunteers arrived, the 38ft yacht was well alight.
A cat from County Durham has been selected as 'National Cat of the Year'. Nelson, owned by Andrea Huntley-Crow, of Seaham, has also won the Most Incredible Story award.
Nelson, 20, has had struggles. He was thrown into the sea in a sack, lived rough on the docks, lost an eye and suffered a heart condition.
We caught up with Nelson before he was announced as the winner.
People in Seaham are trying to raise £85,000 to keep a statue which was only supposed to be on display there for three months.Read the full story ›
Lifeguards in Seaham came to the rescue of a labrador who got into trouble while going for a dip.
The dog, called Cruz, was spotted struggling in the water 300m off the north end of Seaham beach yesterday afternoon.
Four canoeists helped two RNLI lifeguards to get the distressed animal back to the beach.
After a drink of water, Cruz seemed unaffected by his ordeal.
His owner thanked the RNLI, and added: "Cruz is usually such an obedient dog, he even fetches my newspaper.
"He always comes back when I call him but I think he was just having an “off” day!"
A County Durham artist has created a new World War One memorial. The steel statue took five months to make and weighs more than a ton.Read the full story ›