Live updates

Toddler dies five days after choking on a grape at Pizza Hut

Jacob Jenkins had been in a coma for five days Credit: Family photograph

A two-year-old boy who spent five days in a coma after choking on a grape at a Pizza Hut restaurant has died.

Jacob Jenkins was rushed to hospital after the incident in Hartlepool on Friday.

Doctors at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle were hoping to take Jacob off life-support this morning, but after further tests his parents David and Abigail chose to let Jacob die at the same time as dozens of his supporters released yellow balloons on the seafront at Seaton Carew.

Credit: Family photograph

Jacob's mother said: "Me and David want to thank every single person for the support over these awful last few days.

"Jacob has gained his Angel wings at 7pm as you all set off your balloons.

"There was nothing else that could be done for Jacob, and as hard as it was we chose that time because we knew he would be in thousands of people's minds at that moment."

The couple also thanked people "for every word, every picture and every prayer".

NHS bosses say services transferred for 'safety and quality'

Medical director for North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust Dr David Emerton, who is also a consultant in accident and emergency, said:

We totally respect people’s right to protest about issues which concern them. However we would like to emphasise that the centralisation of services at the University Hospital of North Tees was driven by our clinicians, is fully supported by our commissioners and was done purely for reasons of safety and quality.

What was acceptable in terms of clinical practice in the health service 10 or even five years ago is no longer acceptable because medicine has moved on. We have to ensure our services can meet the higher standards now expected.

– Dr David Emeron, Medical director for North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust


Campaigners march against Hartlepool hospital cuts

Campaigners gather at Seaton Carew Credit: ITV

Hundreds of campaigners have gathered in protest against the reduction of services at Hartlepool General Hospital.

It forms part of a long-running hospital saga, in which key services were transferred to Stockton and a proposed new hospital at Wynyard was delayed.

The protesters are marching from Seaton Carew to Hartlepool this morning.

Council cleaner finds World War Two grenade

A man has told how he kicked a live Second World War hand grenade he found on a beach in Hartlepool, before picking it up and putting it in his loader.

It was only after he had another look at it that John O'Neill realised the object was a grenade that had been buried in the sand at Seaton Carew.

He believed the pin was still inside, but because it was so rusty, it was hard to tell.

Mr O'Neill, who works for Hartlepool Borough Council, told the Hartlepool Mail:

He contacted his bosses who called in bomb disposal experts and after the beach was cordoned off, they carried out a controlled explosion.

"I was doing a general litter pick and I came across what I thought was a piece of metal and I gave it a kick. I turned it over and it looked interesting."

– John O'Neill


Firefighters tackling blaze at Seaton Carew

Firefighters are dealing with a blaze in Seaton Carew after a large coal heap went up in flames.

Three fire engines from Stranton Station rushed to Seaton after receiving several calls reporting the blaze, near to the Mayfair Centre.

The fire started around eleven o'clock this morning and fire officers were still on site damping down flames just before one o'clock.

Load more updates