A teenage mum who falsely claimed she had been the victim of a sex attack has been put behind bars for six weeks.
As a result of the fake allegation made by Riah Toms, an innocent man spent seven hours in a police cell and a month on bail.
Newcastle Crown Court heard 19-year-old Toms made the false claim to try and explain why her boyfriend Aaron Cammock attacked the victim outside Arizona bar in Sunderland on April 4 last year.
Toms had hoped her fake allegation may have saved her boyfriend from going to jail for the violence he used.
Last May 20-year-old Cammock, of Goschen Street, Southwick was jailed for 33 months for his vicious attack on the victim, who was punched and kicked in the head.
A 22-year-old man has been arrested in connection with two reports of rape that happened in the Middlesbrough area.
Police had previously linked the two separate incidents which happened in August and October earlier this year.
The sex attacks happened in the Tollesby Road area of Middlesbrough.
Young women on Teesside are being urged to be careful on nights out this Christmas, as police investigate two sex attacks.
The two reports of rape were carried out earlier this year and police say they are linked.
They are urging women to take care at night as they search for the attacker.
Watch Jenny Longden's full report here:
Young women have been urged to be careful during nights out in Middlesbrough, following two reports of rape in the town.
Detectives investigating the sex attacks have confirmed they are linking the two incidents.
A 19-year-old woman was picked up by a taxi driver in the Tollesby Road area in the early hours of Wednesday 8th August.
She was in a distressed state, and told police she had been raped at a nearby address.
Police received a second report of rape from a 20-year-old woman at around 2.20am on Wednesday 17th October, also in the area of Tollesby Road.
The woman had been on a night out with friends at The Keys Night Spot on Linthorpe Road shortly before the attack.
Chief Inspector Dave Lamplough says: