Live updates

Advertisement

Gunman who murdered Tipu Sultan has conviction appeal refused

Michael McDougall who shot and killed Tipu Sultan Credit: Northumbria Police

A gunman who shot and killed South Tyneside takeaway boss Tipu Sultan has lost his bid to appeal against his conviction for murder.

Michael McDougall killed 34-year-old dad-of-two Mr Sultan at his Herbs and Spice takeaway, in Lake Avenue, South Shields in April 2015.

McDougall, of Hawthorn Avenue, South Shields, was jailed for 34 years at Newcastle Crown Court in March after being found guilty of murder and two charges of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life. The 47-year-old asked for permission to launch an appeal against the conviction but has been knocked back by a single judge.

Tipu Sultan who was shot and killed outside his South Shields takeaway Credit: Northumbria Police

Michael Mullen, 24, of Hawthorne Avenue, South Shields, who had taken McDougall to and from the murder scene on the back of a motorbike, was cleared of murder but jailed for 12 years after being found guilty of manslaughter.

Haven Point leisure centre in South Shields re-opens

Haven Point leisure centre in South Shields was closed due to a burst pipe Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

A leisure centre closed because of a burst hot water pipe has now reopened.

Haven Point, in South Shields, was closed on Tuesday after the pipe in an upper plant room above the gym burst, spilling water all over the floor.

South Tyneside Council said on Wednesday that the centre is now open. The only area that remains closed is the gym where damage needs to be assessed and repairs made to equipment before it can be opened.

Councillor Alan Kerr, Deputy Leader with responsibility for Leisure and Culture, said: “We appreciate that in the last week of the school holidays, the closure of the centre – and in particular, the pools – was frustrating but we have pulled out all the stops to re-open the centre today.

“We will do all we can to re-open the gym area as quickly as possible but the damage to electrical equipment needs to be assessed for safety before we can open the doors to the public. We would ask for patience while this vital work is carried out.

“In the meantime, people can use our other facilities at Hebburn Central, Temple Park and Monkton Stadium.”

New court date for South Shields man after 'bomb' scare

Lake Avenue in South Shields Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

A man will appear in court next month after homes were evacuated in South Shields.

Wayne Allen, 38, of Lake Avenue has been charged with a number of assaults and possessing a prohibited weapon.

He will appear at Newcastle Crown Court on Monday September 26.

Around 60 homes were evacuated on Friday August 26 and bomb disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion.

Advertisement

Man charged following South Shields incident

Lake Avenue in South Shields Credit: ITV News

A man has been charged after searches were carried out a house in South Shields on Friday August 26.

Wayne Allen, 38, of Lake Avenue has been charged with a number of assaults and possessing a prohibited weapon.

He will appear at Newcastle Crown Court on Tuesday August 30.

Around 60 homes were evacuated on Friday and bomb disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion.

Man arrested in South Shields incident

Residents evacuated from their homes in South Shields after a suspicious item was found have been allowed to return to their homes and a man has been arrested in connection with the incident.

Early this morning officers attended the address in Lake Avenue after concern was raised about suspicious items.

Throughout the day, thorough searches by specially trained officers have been carried out at the property.

They carried out a controlled disruption an item that they discovered was not an explosive device.

The cordon that was in place has now been lifted.

Earlier this evening a 38-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident. He remains in custody and enquiries are continuing.

Superintendent Brad Howe said:

"First of all I would like to thank local residents for their patience during this incident, I know there has been a lot of disruption for them and I would like to assure them we did not do this without giving a great deal of thought to the impact this would have on them.

We have been working closely with our colleagues at South Tyneside Council to try and keep this disruption minimal and to make sure there was support for residents who were directly affected by this.

While initially it appeared there may have been suspected improvised explosive devices in the premises this has proved not to be the case and devices of this nature were not found. Other items were seized which included what is believed to be a homemade taser.”

– Superintendent Brad Howe, Northumbria Police

Update: South Shields residents may be allowed back into homes tonight

Northumbria Police say residents may be able to return to their homes after properties were evacuated following today's bomb disposal operation.

A cordon remains in place at the scene in South Shields as police continue to carry out searches.

Officers arrived at 4am this morning following reports of a number of suspicious items.

Searches have been carried out during the day and are set to continue.

A number of residents have been evacuated from their homes and while they may be able to be back in their homes later tonight they are being advised to make alternative arrangements for overnight accommodation.

Superintendent Brad Howe said:

"Our utmost priority is public safety and ensuring there is as little disruption to residents as is possible.

I understand people will be frustrated about this and I do appreciate that many people were disrupted early this morning, I would like to stress that we are doing everything we can to get them back home as soon as possible but at the same time I want to make sure our searches are complete to reduce the chance of having to possibly disrupt them later in the evening.

We are working closely with South Tyneside Council and will have officers in the area to offer reassurance to residents and assist them. If anyone is able to make alternative arrangements for overnight accommodation, then I would urge them to do so."

– Superintendent Brad Howe, Northumbria Police
Load more updates