A special meeting to discuss the budget for Durham County Council gets underway this morning (Wednesday). .
It's expected the local authority will face further budget cuts as reductions in Government grants are confirmed.
Over the past three years, the council has made savings of £113.9m.
Councillors will hear today that this figure must rise to £224m of savings by 2017.
Council Leader, Cllr Simon Henig, said: "Despite us explaining our very serious situation to central Government, it is clear not all parts of the country are seeing the same level of reductions. There is little doubt that our area is again being hit the hardest."
Northumberland County Council faces the prospect of having to cut spending by £130m over the next four years.
It comes after Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles published new figures as part of the Local Government Finances Settlement announced today.
Councils face an average cut of 2.9% across the country.
Some authorities in the North East will see their budgets cut by an even bigger proportion.
Councils across the region were told today the extent of overall cuts to funding for 2014/15.
Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles published the figures which showed an average cut of 2.9% across the country.
A spokesman for Newcastle Council said they were facing an overall cut to spending of 4.6% - more than ten million pounds - but that the news was what they expected.
Middlesbrough Council is facing a reduction of more than 5%.
Funding cuts to both councils are well above the national average.
ITV News Tyne Tees contacted all of our region's councils about the figures but many said it was too early to tell what the cuts meant for them.
A council is beginning an extensive public consultation today on how it can meet an estimated £45m pound funding gap.
The shortfall could mean Gateshead residents see major changes to council services.
Residents will be asked be asked which services they value the most.
400 Gateshead Council jobs are expected to be cut.
The cabinet for Durham County Council is meeting later today to discuss spending cuts.
The council is facing cuts of £20 million more than they had previously thought.
The saving target for the Labour-run authority for 2011 to 2017 has now risen to £222 million.
A leading North East clergyman has attacked the Chancellor of the Exchequer over cutbacks in the region.
The Dean of Newcastle has written to George Osbourne saying austerity measures in the North of England are disproportionate to the rest of the country.
Newcastle City Council has responded to an open letter from members of the arts community who have called the proposed spending cuts, particularly to arts, "totally unnecessary".
The council said it recognises that some of its decisions are not palatable but it can only spend the resources it has.
Newcastle council's proposal to cut 100% of its arts funding has been condemned by prominent artists and musicians.
In an open letter to the city council, famous names connected to the region like Sting, Bryan Ferry and Mark Knopfler branded the authority's plans "totally unnecessary".
It is a "short-sighted attack on the arts" and the council risks "throwing away a shared cultural heritage that has been built up by generations and generations of ordinary people in the city", the letter said.
Neil Tennant, Robson Green and Jimmy Nail also signed the letter against the cuts which, if implemented, will affect venues including the Theatre Royal, the Northern Stage and City Hall.
The council should "rethink this baffling decision and find an appropriate way to preserve the arts in Newcastle", the letter concludes.
In response the council said it recognises that some of its decisions are not palatable but it can only spend the resources it has.