Live updates

Police: expect extra delays in Newcastle on Saturday

Credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Police are expecting Newcastle city centre to be very busy this Saturday because of three sporting events taking place throughout the day. They are advising the public to leave extra time for journeys, which may take longer than usual.

The events taking place are:

  • A showing of the England v Wales Rugby World Cup match at the Fanzone. Kick off is at 8pm but the zone will be open from 12pm
  • Newcastle United v Chelsea at St James' Park. Kick off at 5.30pm
  • A Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) event inside the Rugby World Cup Fanzone from 6pm-11pm

Northumbria Police Chief Superintendent Steve Neill has said the city centre will be busier than on normal match days, and will be congested for most of the day.

'Important win against a very good side' says Karanka after Notts Forest victory

Middlesbrough Manager Aitor Karanka has praised his team after a their 2-1 victory away to Nottingham Forest on Saturday. He said in today's press conference that it was an important win against a very good side.

He did however, warn against complacency. It would be a 'big mistake' to think that maintaining second position in the Championship would be easy.

Karanka did acknowledge that this season's Boro squad has more strength in depth than last year's, which will allow him to rotate players more freely.

He also said that tomorrow's opposition in the third round of the Capital One Cup, Wolves, are a comparatively weak side because of injury troubles.

You can watch the full press conference here.


Ticket design for Rugby World Cup revealed

The Rugby World Cup will be coming to Newcastle this summer, and this is what some of the tickets will look like.

Rugby World Cup 2003 winner Martin Johnson with the ticket designs. Credit: England Rugby 2015

The former Newcastle Falcons player Jonny Wilkinson has been singled out for a particular honour.

The moment his drop-goal won the world cup for England in 2003 will be depicted on the tickets for the World Cup Final, as you can see in the design just to the right of Martin Johnson in the picture above.

Early kick-off at Everton for SAFC gives no advantage in relegation battle says head coach Dick Advocaat

Sunderland Head Coach Dick Advocaat says he doesn't believe his team's early kick off at Everton tomorrow gives them any significant advantage in the Premier League relegation battle.

The Black Cats will be without their Captain, John O'Shea, for the trip to Merseyside. He's got a rib injury. But another veteran defender, Wes Brown, is fit to return, while striker Steven Fletcher is also available after injury.

If Sunderland win their lunchtime kick off at Goodison Park they'll move out of the bottom three and put more pressure on their relegation rivals, all of whom kick of at 3pm. The Black Cats go into the game in good spirits, after last weekend's win over Southampton. But Advocaat thinks the early kick off isn't a big issue.

Toon fans top banning order list

Newcastle United fans got the highest number of banning orders last season in England and Wales, figures have revealed.

There were 95 imposed on supporters of the Premier League team in the 2013/14 season according to Home Office data.

Fans of League One side Chesterfield received the second-highest number of banning orders at 22, while League Two side Shrewsbury Town saw 21 bans issued to its supporters.

The total number of football banning orders decreased by 7% to 2,273 as on September 3 2014, from 2,451 on September 20 2013.

This represents 678 new banning orders imposed during the period, on top of those already in place.

Football banning orders aim to block potential troublemakers from travelling to football matches - both at home and abroad - and are issued by the courts following a conviction for a football-related offence. They can also be issued after a complaint by the Crown Prosecution Service or a local police force.

Falcons Falter in European Challenge Cup

Newcastle Falcons have had a setback in their bid to reach the knock-out stage of the European Challenge Cup.

Falcons lost to French side, Brive, by 9 points to 7 at Kingston Park tonight (Thursday).

Around two and a half thousand supporters at Kingston Park watched a frustrating match.

Falcons scored the only try of the game, but Brive went through thanks to three penalties - in a match of inconsistent refereeing decisions.

With the qualifying group tight, tonight's tie was effectively a 'winner takes all' contest for a place in the Quarter-Finals.

Brive now head Pool 3, with one round of games to play.



Sunderland hires top Italian recruiters

Sunderland AFC has appointed a new Director of Football and Chief Scout as it restructures its recruitment team.

Roberto De Fanti joins the club in the newly-created Director of Football role. And Chief Scout Valentino Angeloni is being welcomed to the Black Cats from Italian giants Inter Milan.

Work on the summer recruitment process has already commenced, with players Valentin Roberge, Adilson Tavares Varela (Cabral) and Modibo Diakité set to join the club in July. Sunderland AFC CEO, Margaret Byrne, said:

“Roberto and Valentino bring with them a wealth of experience, knowledge and football contacts from across Europe and indeed the world and we are delighted to welcome them to Sunderland.

“The recruitment of players is of course key for any football club and Roberto and Valentino will work closely with the Head Coach and the Board to identify targets as we look to strengthen our squad for next season and beyond.

“I would also like to extend our thanks to the President of Inter Milan, Massimo Moratti, who graciously agreed to allow Valentino to make the move to Sunderland.”

– Sunderland AFC CEO, Margaret Byrne
Load more updates