An investigation is underway today after what police say was a deliberate fire at a County Durham primary school.Read the full story ›
Two months on from a double bus crash in County Durham, the families of 15 school-children involved have launched legal action for compensation. Nearly 30 pupils were injured when the two vehicles collided - on a school run - near Stanley. Jonny Blair has the story:
The families of school children who were on-board two buses which crashed head-on in County Durham are taking legal action as they seek to find out exactly what went wrong.
28 children and two bus drivers were taken to hospital after the crash on June 3. The pupils, aged 11-18, were from St Bede's Catholic School, Lanchester, and Tanfield School.
Lawyers at Irwin Mitchell, which has an office in Newcastle, have so far been instructed to represent 15 children injured in the crash in Stanley when a double-decker and a single-decker bus collided.
Police have issued an appeal for a "Cinderella" would-be thief who left his trainer at the scene of a crime in County Durham.
A man tried to steal cider from the Co-op in Tyne Road in Stanley at 9.30pm on Sunday night.
For reasons unknown, he left a grey, red and black Nike Air Max trainer at the shop before fleeing.
Police tweeted a photo of the shoe, hoping someone might recognise it.
The trial of a headteacher from County Durham on sex offences has heard from the alleged victim, who says she regularly had sex with him when he was aged 13 and 14.
Anne Lakey, from Stanley, denies nine offences against the boy, who was not her pupil, during the late 1980s while she was a teacher.
Durham Crown Court has heard that Lakey would have sex with the boy over a period of months when he was supposed to be at school and she was supposed to be at work.
The alleged victim said he had been the one to end it, after feeling he did not want it to carry on. He said he lost his temper after she told him he could not go and could not tell anyone. He pushed his way past her and left.
He told the jury that only as an adult did he realise it was wrong.
The trial at Durham Crown Court continues.
A 12-year-old boy who was injured in a bus crash in Stanley almost two weeks ago has been released from hospital.
The boy was airlifted to the RVI in Newcastle with severe facial injuries after the crash between two school buses on June 3.
In all 28 children were taken to hospital.
School pupils involved in the Stanley bus crash last week have made a fundraising pledge to the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS).Read the full story ›
A 12-year-old boy who was injured in a crash between two school buses in Stanley, County Durham, is due to have an operation later at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary. All other children who were injured have now been released from hospital.
One of the drivers involved in the Stanley bus crash on Tuesday (June 3) has spoken about how one of the children on board thought he might be dead.
54-year-old Paul Stephenson of Annfield Plain was driving the Go North double decker. He was trapped for more than two hours.
Mr Stephenson has been discharged from hospital today (June 6). He sustained injures to his head and knee.
Graeme Lloyd, headteacher at Tanfield School, said:
"On behalf of the whole school community, I would like to pass on our best wishes for a speedy recovery to all those who suffered injury in the bus crash yesterday.
"Our thoughts go out particularly to our year 8 student who remains seriously ill in hospital today as well as to his family.
"I have been impressed with the maturity and thoughtfulness of pupils who continue to support each other and who great caring for those affected.
“I would also like to thank parents and staff for their continued support as we work together to respond to what is a very difficult and upsetting experience.”