The UK's largest structural steel firm has been fined £135,000 after one of it's employees was fatally crushed under a forklift truck.
Teesside Crown Court heard that Severfield, which employs 300 staff at its plant at Dalton Airfield Industrial Estate, near Thirsk, admitted failing to ensure the safety of its workforce.
Kelvin McGibbon, 27, was driving the forklift when it overturned and he was thrown from the vehicle, before being crushed face-down.
His family and staff were left devastated when he died soon after in March 2013.
The court heard that there was an endemic culture of "not being bothered to wear a seatbelt", despite the high risks, had existed over numerous years at the plant.
Lisa Roberts QC, prosecuting for the Health and Safety Executive said, Mr McGibbon, who was not wearing a seatbelt had been warned over driving forklifts too fast.
She said, Mr McGibbon had received several rounds of training in which he was instructed to wear a seatbelt, but the rule was never enforced by Severfield.
The firm which said they had learnt lessons, warned staff that failure to wear a seatbelt would result in instant dismissal.
ITV Tyne Tees Industry Correspondent Rachel Bullock considers what today's talks mean for Teesside as steel crisis enters a new week.Read the full story ›
This vast derelict site is linked directly to the town, which is still trying to recover from losing its biggest employer.Read the full story ›
Anna Soubry is due to visit Teesside on Monday, to see how the SSI task force is performing, but spoke to ITV Tyne Tees ahead of her visit.Read the full story ›
It's exactly six months since the announcement that iron and steel production was to be halted in Redcar.Read the full story ›
The first Steel Council will meet today with government ministers, UK Steel and other representatives and trade unions, to stand up for the future of the industry.
The meeting will look at how to address long-term issues for the steel sector and propose steps to protect producers.
The GMB union says steel industry is vital to the UK, directly employing almost 18,000 people in production and contributing around £9.5bn to the economy.
Last year the SSI plant in Redcar shut with the loss of almost 2,000 jobs.
MPs will discuss the support package promised for workers at the former SSI steelworks in Redcar later today.
The debate in Parliament was secured by the town's MP Anna Turley after more than two thousand staff lost their jobs when the plant closed last year.
Roy Rickhuss, General Secretary of the steelworkers’ union, Community, has said the Prime Minister needs to do more to stop Chinese steel dumping.
His comments came as Chinese Premier Xi Jinping flies into the UK as the news that steel company Caparo has gone into administration threatening 1700 jobs.
135 jobs at the Hartlepool site are under threat - even though staff have been told to go into work 'as normal' while the company reviews 'its options'.
It comes after SSI UK went into administration at the beginning of this month with the loss of 2, 200 jobs at their Redcar plant on Teesside.
“The Prime Minister needs to do more than ‘raise’ the issue. He needs to tell the Chinese Premier what action he’s going to take to stop Chinese steel damaging the future of a vital foundation industry in the UK.
He needs to tell them that infrastructure projects will not be at the expense of UK industry and communities.
And he needs to tell UK steelworkers today when his government is going to bring forward the compensation package for energy intensive industry.”
More talks are being held today in an attempt to find a rescue plan to save the Redcar steel works.Read the full story ›
The Middlesbrough MP Andy McDonald has joined calls for the Government to do all it can to save steelmaking on Teesside.
It follows the announcement the firm SSI is pausing iron and steel production at its Redcar plant.
Talks are already underway to form a task force to help those affected, as Julie Harrison reports: