Live updates

Three-year-old boy assaulted in Stockton

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man assaulted a three-year-old boy in Stockton-on-Tees.

The boy and his two friends, aged eight, were playing with water pistols on Raleigh Road at around 6.30pm on June 3 and wet a man who was walking past.

The man became angry, walked over to the children, slapped the three-year-old boy on the hand and burnt him with a cigarette, leaving him with a small burn injury to his finger. No medical treatment was needed.

The man is:

  • White
  • 6 feet 4 inches tall
  • Late 20s
  • Very skinny
  • Wearing a white hard had and hi-vis vest
  • Tattoo on one of his forearms

The man walked from Raleigh Road in the direction of Wolfe Road.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Cleveland Police on 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Stockton parents champion 'Helen's Walk' for meningitis

A family from Stockton-on-Tees who lost their daughter to meningitis want people to pull on their walking boots for an annual event to raise funds for a charity tackling the disease.

Terry and Sue Laing are backing Meningitis UK's annual Big Stroll North East, previously known as Helen's Walk.

The couple lost their 24-year-old daughter Helen to meningitis aged 24, in 2001.

From the age of 14, Helen had wanted to be a nursery nurse and qualified in January 2001, four months before she succumbed to meningococcal septicaemia.

"The walk helps us come to terms with what happened and is always a great way to raise awareness of the disease.

"Everyone's support for Helen's Walk over the years was unbelievable and surpassed our wildest expectations. Although we no longer run it, we always support the walk, which is growing every year.

"We hope even more people get behind it and put on their walking boots to battle the disease that tragically took our Helen."

– Terry Laing, Helen's father

In Helen's honour, the couple support Meningitis UK and handed control of the walk to the charity after setting it up and raising £90,000.

The 5.5-mile circular Big Stroll takes place on May 12 and starts in Osmotherley.

To sign up, to donate or for more information, call 0117 303 33 47 or click here.

"We again thank Terry and Sue for helping to support the walk - without their help, it would not be as successful as it is.

"What happened to Helen illustrates just how cruel meningitis and its associated disease can be - striking anyone, of any age, at any time.

"The walk is a great way to keep fit, see some truly wonderful sights and all the while battle meningitis, which is notoriously difficult to diagnose and can kill in only hours.

"For all these reason, this is why our main focus is to fund pioneering research to eradicate the disease to protect all future generations."

– Steve Dayman, Meningitis UK founder

Advertisement

Fatal Carlton fire caused by electrical fault

A fire which killed an elderly couple in their home near Stockton-on-Tees was caused by an electrical fault, investigators have said.

William Volume, 88, and his wife Eileen, 89, died when a blaze ripped through their home in Carlton last week.

They had been married for more than 60 years and lived in the small village for over 50 of them.

Cleveland Police said the fire on Thursday was not being treated as suspicious and there will be no criminal investigation. A file has been passed to the coroner.

"This was a tragic accident caused by an electrical fault in the property."

– Phil Lancaster, director of community protection at Cleveland Fire Brigade

Couple who died in house fire named

Married couple William and Eileen Volume died in their home on Thorpe Road in Carlton Village Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

The couple who died in a fire on Teesside on Thursday have been named as 88-year-old William Volume and his wife Eileen Volume, 89.

They lived in Carlton Village for over fifty years.

Results from post-mortem examinations concluded that the couple died as a result of smoke inhalation.

Investigations continue into Teesside fire

Investigations continue into Teesside fire
Investigations are continuing into a fire which killed an elderly couple on Teesside Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

Investigations are continuing into a fire which killed an elderly couple on Teesside.

The pensioners died in a bedroom of their house in Carlton Village near Stockton yesterday morning.

Police say that so far there is no evidence to suggest that the cause of the blaze is suspicious.

Advertisement

Two die in house fire on Teesside

Two die in house fire
Two people have died in a house fire in Stockton-On-Tees Credit: Michael Davis

Two people have died in a house fire on Teesside.

Cleveland Fire Brigade were called out to the house fire in Carlton Village near Stockton at 8.45 am on Thursday morning.

Cleveland Police would not confirm the identity of the pair and said the investigation was in its very early stages.

Investigation launched after "severe" fatal fire

Shortly after 5am Cleveland Fire Brigade were called to a house fire in Carlton Village,Stockton.

On arrival fire crews were presented with a severe fire in which there were two fatalities.

Five appliances attended which were from Stockton,Thornaby and Middlesbrough Stations.

Crews left the scene at approximately 8.45am.

The cause of the fire is under investigation and a joint investigation team has been established between Cleveland Fire Brigade and Cleveland Police.

– Cleveland Fire Brigade

Pair of reptiles set owners' conservatory on fire

Two loved-up reptiles are being blamed for starting a fire that destroyed their owner's conservatory in Stockton-on-Tees and led to their own demise.

Henry the tortoise, who had just awoken from hibernation, had only one thing on his mind as he emerged from his den - his mate Alice.

But tragically as he chased her around their nest, it is thought he knocked over a heater which set fire to wood shavings.

The blaze destroyed the conservatory of Alf and Gayner Clayton, from Thornaby, who had to run out of the house to escape. The fire also damaged their garage and car.

The couple said they did their best to save their beloved pets after a neighbour spotted smoke coming out of the garage.

But neither pensioner could save them and two fire crews were called to put out the blaze, which happened on Saturday night.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories