Police across the region said they were called to several stores overnight as so-called Black Friday started.
Northumbria Police said they were called to Tesco in Kingston Park in Newcastle and Norham Road in North Shields.
A spokesman said they were called by members of staff but no one was arrested.
Officers from Cleveland Police said they were called to Tesco stores in Stockton and South Bank.
They also confirmed that no one was arrested.
Police have arrested a 24-year-old man on suspicion of possession of a firearm or imitation with intent to cause fear of violence, after an incident in Stockton.
Officers were called to a bus stop on Harrowgate Lane after reports of concern for a man's behaviour.
He was arrested in a police operation in the early hours of November 5th at an address in the local area.
A weapon, believed to be an air weapon, has been recovered.
Police are appealing for information after a number of thefts from three graves at the cemetery on Durham Road in Stockton.
The incidents took place between 7pm on Saturday, 25th October and 10am on Sunday, 26th October.
During this time a number of items have been taken. Three solar fairies, two solar powered black lanterns around seven inches in height and a two foot silver lantern were stolen.
The solar fairies are described as around five inches in height and in various colours of pink, green and blue. The bases are marked with: V.Elliott E12.
Police say the families "have been left distraught as the items are very sentimental."
Anyone who may have information regarding the thefts or those responsible is asked to contact police.
Plans to stop the Teesside super-hospital project seen temperatures rising among politicians and campaigners.Read the full story ›
Campaigners have called for some hospital services to be reinstated in Hartlepool after a decision was made to stop work on a new hospital on Teesside.
The trust wanted to build a £300m pound hospital between North Tees and Hartlepool, but it would have meant closing both those sites.
The work was paused due to a lack of financial and political support. But millions had already been spent, and services moved away from Hartlepool.
Kevin Fisher from the Save our Hospital campaign:
Stockton MPs James Wharton and Alex Cunningham have clashed in opinions on the decision to pause work on the new hospital on Teesside.Read the full story ›
The Labour MP for Stockton North, Alex Cunningham, has said pausing development work on the proposed new hospital at Wynyard will lead to health inequalities widening even further across the region while putting increasing pressures on health services.
It is an outrage that, after seven years of planning and reviews, the proposals for the new hospital are no nearer to gaining the final approval that will deliver a world class facility to the region and help to tackle health inequalities.
I am sick and tired of the Government playing politics with the health of the people in our communities, and I understand that local Trust now feels they can do nothing more to prove their case.
That the independent regulator Monitor has told both the Treasury and the Department of Health that they have done everything possible to scrutinise the proposal and believe it is the right package for health care in the North Tees and Hartlepool Trust area, demonstrates that this is about politics and nothing to do with securing the best health facilities both at hospital and within the community
It speaks volumes that decisions have been approved elsewhere that will see larger and more expensive facilities delivered in the southern constituencies of Tory and LibDem MPs and in places where the governing parties hope to curry favour. But no-one on the Government side is speaking up for our people who suffer from some of the worse health inequalities in the country and continue to lose out.
Alex has, with support from other Teesside MPs, today applied for an adjournment debate in the House of Commons when they hope the Treasury will account for their failure to approve the scheme.
The Conservative MP for Stockton South, James Wharton, has welcomed the decision by the North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Trust to suspend work on its plans to close North Tees and Hartlepool hospitals for a new hospital at Wynyard.
- 76% Opposed the plans
- 8% Said there were unsure/did not know
- 16% Supported the plans
2,673 replies were received.
The Trust has not convinced the public to support these plans and without public support such significant reconfigurations cannot be carried through. People have told me in overwhelming numbers that they do not want this scheme and many will welcome the decision to suspend work.
Scrapping the Wynyard Hospital plan was one of the first things the new government did but the idea lived on. This process has taken years and costs a fortune. The Treasury has been clear that more information would be needed before any money could be approved and the Trust has now decided it cannot provide it.
This is a suspension rather than cancellation but the Trust now needs to turn its attention to North Tees and the investment it needs. I was born in North Tees Hospital and I understand what it means to our community. We need to invest in it and upgrade facilities to provide top quality care. The Trust should immediately start planning to use some of the hundreds of millions it had earmarked for Wynyard on North Tees so that local people get the care they deserve.
The chief executive of North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust has said the pause of development is due to the "looming" general election.
The new hospital is a fundamental part of our integrated health and social care strategy for the 21st programme was launched it was one of the three strategic aims of the programme, and it still is.
However a general election is now looming and the board recognises that any new government is likely to wish to review all new developments in the light of its own priorities. As a result, there will inevitably be further delay in the completion of a new hospital. The board has therefore decided to pause the development work on the new hospital.
I, along with the board of directors, believe it is wise at this time, to ensure that delay does not compromise the major advances that have been made to date, in the quality and efficiency of local services. We will therefore engage with our staff and the public to seek views on how to deliver more care closer to home where possible and secure further investment in community based services, while continuing to centralise services where necessary to maintain and improve the safety and quality of hospital-based provision. The board will keep this position under active review in the light of national developments and will continue to work closely with local NHS commissioners and with its partners in local government to improve the integration and quality of care for local people.
North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust’s board has today announced it has decided to pause the development work on the new hospital.
The trust board has today released a statement, saying:
While the trust is unanimously committed to developing a new hospital to meet the future healthcare needs of the people of Hartlepool, Stockton, Easington and Sedgefield, the board feels the complexities of the approval process are "such that without high-level political support it appearsto be unable to get a decision before the end of this parliament.