Live updates


16 year old dies after swimming near High Force

A 16 year old boy has died after getting into difficulties in the River Tees near High Force.

The teenager, from Hartlepool, was swimming in the pool below the waterfall with five other teenagers.

The alarm was raised at 8pm on Tuesday 14th June.

He was pulled from the water by the Fire Service Rescue Boat at around 9.45 pm and airlifted to James Cook Hospital, where he later died.

Three boys and two girls, who had been with the boy, were not injured.

Teenager in hospital after High Force rescue

High Force in Upper Teesdale Credit: PA (library image)

A teenager has been airlifted to hospital after getting into difficulties in the River Tees near High Force.

Police, the Fire Service, Ambulance crews and fourteen members of the Mountain Rescue team were called to High Force at around 7.30 pm on Tuesday 14th June.

It's understood four people in total were in the water - with three of the group managing to get out.

A young man was pulled from the water by the Fire Service Emergency Rescue boat and taken to James Cook Hospital by helicopter.


Motorcyclist seriously injured during crash

A motorcyclist has been seriously injured during a road traffic collision near Middleton-in-Teesdale.

The driver lost control on a bend and sustained pelvis and back injuries, the Great North Air Ambulance have said.

The injured man was treated at scene before being flown to James Cook University Hospital. He arrived at the hospital in Middlesbrough in a stable condition.

Police identify men killed in Barnard Castle collision

27-year-old Gordon Nicky Davidson
21-year-old Grant Benson

Police have identified two men who were killed in a collision near Barnard Castle, Co Durham, in the early hours of Saturday, 16th August.

21-year-old Grant Benson from Bartlemere and 27-year-old Gordon Nicky Davidson from Leekworth Gardens in Middleton-in-Teesdale were killed when the Audi A4 they were travelling in collided with a tree on the road near Barnard Castle at around 3:15am. Both men were declared dead at the scene. No other vehicles were involved.

The family of both men have paid tribute to them. Mr Benson’s family said Grant was a "beautiful, caring and loving person" and Mr Davidson's family said of Nick: "We were all so very proud of him and have been utterly devastated by this."

Sergeant Andy Sutherland from the roads policing unit is asking for anyone who may have seen the car in the time leading up to the collision to get in touch:

I am especially keen to hear from anyone who saw either Grant or Nicky out in Barnard Castle on the Friday night. Collision investigators are continuing to work hard to piece together the events of the night and to establish the cause of collision.

– Sergeant Andy Sutherland
Load more updates