More than 200 medics from 65 units across all three armed forces will attend a special thanksgiving ceremony at York minister this morning, before parading through the ancient city centre.
Among the 65 units recognised will be the 34 Field Hospital from the city's Strensall Barracks who returned from Afghanistan last month where they closed down the field hospital in Camp Bastion.
The parade will pass through Duncombe Place at 10 50 am to be inspected before a medal ceremony takes place.
The parade will be watched by the city's Lord Mayor, Councillor Ian Gillies:
"I am delighted to officially welcome 34 Field Hospital back to York, following their recent deployment, heading up the UK Medical Group in Afghanistan.
We will join them on Duncombe Place for their Freedom of Entry Parade and medals presentation and hope that many people will join us inwelcoming them safely back home.”
Traffic restrictions will be in place between 7am and 1.30pm at Duncombe Place, Blake Street, St Helen’s Square, Davygate, New Street, St Sampson’s Square, High Petergate, Church Street, Parliament Street, High Ousegate, Spurriergate, Market Street, Feasegate and Coney Street.
York Minster is claiming the highest yellow jersey in Yorkshire as it released these pictures of its banner on top of the central tower.
The Tour de France will pass the South Door of the Minster at the start of Stage 2, between York and Sheffield, on Sunday.
A spokesman said: "Those visiting York Minster on Saturday evening for one of the early evening Tower Tours will be able to see the banner up close - but without a doubt, the best view will be from the heavens above."
Fire crews will remain at the Port of Tyne for 'some time' in case the large fire re-ignites.
Around 50 firefighters were called to the site at South Shields at around 3pm today to reports of a fire in a conveyor transfer tower.
The tower is used to transfer wood pellet from the main storage facility to the rail loading silo.
At the peak of the fire, crews applied six cooling water jets to dampen down the fire.
It was a particularly challenging incident and we had to re-assess how we tackled the fire due to the difficult conditions our fire crews faced.
Fire crews who were mobilised from all over Tyne and Wear should be praised for their professionalism and swift actions which helped to get the fire under control quickly.
Firefighters will remain on-site for some time to ensure the fire does not re-ignite and we would like to thank the Port of Tyne for their assistance.
The Archbishop of York has had a taste of home as the voices of a Ugandan children's choir raised the roof of York Minster.
They sang as part of the 10th anniversary celebrations of All Saints Church of England Academy in Ingleby Barwick.
They're on a fundraising tour around England and say they've loved performing in the North East.
An academy in Ingleby Barwick is celebrating its tenth anniversary.
All Saints Church of England Academy marked the milestone with a service at York Minster.
Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu spoke at the Service of Thanksgiving earlier today, which was attended by the whole school community.
An auction is set to take place today, August 16, to sell off pieces of York Minster.
The stones from the historic building were removed during restoration work. The money raised will help support the ongoing conservation works at the cathedral.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of assault after temporarily disrupting the start of a General Synod service at York Minster.
The Church of England said the man, who was held at the back of the Minster before being removed by police, was not a protester.
A man was restrained within yards of the Archbishop of Canterbury the Most Rev Justin Welby and the Archbishop of York Dr John Sentamu as they processed in for the beginning of the Holy Communion service.
A spokesman said two people suffered minor injuries in the scuffle - a member of Dr Sentamu's staff, Dave Smith, who had a bloodied face and a steward who suffered a bump to the back of his head.
"We received a call just after 10 O'Clock with a report of an assault on a male at York Minster.
"We were there within minutes and one male was arrested on suspicion of assault."
The new Undercroft at York Minster, which opens on Saturday 25 May, has been partly paid for by a £10.5m donation by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Spokesperson Fiona Spiers has been checking on progress as finishing touches are made and says the new space is much more inviting than what it replaces.
The Dean of York says she hopes that visitors to the new Undercroft at York Minster will learn something about themselves from it. The Very Rev Vivienne Faull, was only appointed last year, says the complicated nature of the below ground chambers echo the complex history of the building.
The new Undercroft at York Minster tells the story of the building's 2000 year history from the days of the Romans to the present. The contemporary chambers which now fill the below-ground area use the space which dug out during emergency excavations in the 1970s to shore up the susbiding tower.
The team behind the new exhibition describe it as an immersive and interactive journey featuring artefacts never before on public display that will allow visitors to see, touch and hear the building's history.
The land upon which the cathedral now stands has been a centre, military, political, social and theological [for centuries], influencing not only regional but national history. For the first time, 'Revealing York Minster' brings together the archaeological discoveries and the written archives, dating back to the 7th Century. It will provide visitors with an insight into the evolution of the city and York Minster's central role within that, right up to the present day with a glimpse at the people who work being the scenes, making use of the very latest technology.