Police are warning users of legal highs after the death of a teenager in South Shields.
The teen was taken to hospital in the early hours of Saturday, February 25 and later died.
And while police are waiting for toxicology results, they are warning people against the use of the so-called highs.
Neighbourhood Inspector Peter Sutton said: "I would like to stress that the use of so called legal high drugs is not safe and can have a devastating impact upon your health."
Melanie Soutar, South Tyneside Matrix young people's service manager, said she wanted to tell people of the drugs' dangers.
She said: : "We need to continue to raise public awareness that just because a drug is legal to possess, it doesn’t mean it’s safe."
For free advice call the national drug awareness campaign FRANK on 08700 77 6600 or visit www.talktofrank.com.
More top news
Multi-platinum-selling rapper Tinie Tempah has announced a return to the North East for Marina Live.
Lifeboat crews saw an eight per cent increase in call-outs in 2016 and are urging people to be more aware of the dangers of the sea
Cases include a dog stamped on and thrown down stairs, and a dog who went blind through neglect. **Warning - contains distressing images**