Tributes are tonight being paid to Chris Bainbridge, who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning during a camping holiday in the Lake District.
His wife, Jane, is still seriously ill at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle.
The couple, from Darlington, had been staying in a wooden cabin at the Quiet Site Caravan Park in Watermillock at Ullswater when they were found.
Chris Sivers, from Darlington Borough Council said: "Just a really nice chap. Obviously as an employer is concerned he was a really good guy.
"Did a good job at work. He was a Management Information Officer so he did a lot of detailed work, returns to Government, that sort of thing. And just a really nice guy. Had a lot of friends in the office, he had a lot of friends throughout the council, and he'll be sorely missed."
Our correspondent Dan Ashby sent this report.
More top news
A man has been jailed at Teesside Crown Court for engaging in sexual activity with a child, making an indecent image and child abduction.
An independent report into flooding in December 2015 has criticised aspects of the preparations and response, and made many recommendations.
24 North East Labour MPs have signed a letter to Theresa May about their fears for a 'hard Brexit' following comments made a Nissan boss.