Tributes are tonight being paid to Chris Bainbridge, who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning during a camping holiday in the Lake District.
His wife, Jane, is still seriously ill at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle.
The couple, from Darlington, had been staying in a wooden cabin at the Quiet Site Caravan Park in Watermillock at Ullswater when they were found.
Chris Sivers, from Darlington Borough Council said: "Just a really nice chap. Obviously as an employer is concerned he was a really good guy.
"Did a good job at work. He was a Management Information Officer so he did a lot of detailed work, returns to Government, that sort of thing. And just a really nice guy. Had a lot of friends in the office, he had a lot of friends throughout the council, and he'll be sorely missed."
Our correspondent Dan Ashby sent this report.
More top news
Ariana Grande fans from the North East have told how they were caught up in a terror attack which has killed at least 22 people.
Witnesses reported hearing a "huge bang" at the venue during the concert on Monday evening.
At least 22 people, including children, have died and dozens are injured after a suicide bomb attack at Manchester Arena