Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
The landslip, which caused part of the Carlisle to Newcastle rail line to close, is expected to re-open fully on Monday, February 8.
If you have been affected by an issue related to mental health help is available 24 hours a day.
Family and friends filled St Mary's Church in Ponteland to pay tribute to Sally Allan, who went missing on Boxing Day.