Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
A look ahead at the forecast for the Tyne Tees region.
Tony Blair's former bodyguard has been found guilty of benefit fraud after raking in tens of thousands of pounds in disability allowance.
A brand new £82 million train building factory is opening in Newton Aycliffe