Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
On a tour of the North East today, the Chancellor George Osborne made a series of promises which he claimed would help create 50,000 jobs.
Hundreds of people are expected to take part in two separate demonstrations in Newcastle tomorrow.
Teesside car parts manufacturer Nifco has announced a new £50 million deal with US car giant Ford.