Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
A look ahead at the forecast for the Tyne Tees region.
Remain or Leave? The impact on science and research in the North East
The Heritage Lottery Fund has given North Tyneside Council £164,300 towards structural surveys and paint analysis on St Mary's Lighthouse.