Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
An investigation is continuing into crashes at a motorbike race in North Yorkshire, which left 12 spectators injured - three seriously.
Over 45,000 attended the UK’s national celebration of sustainability as the award-winning event celebrated its fifth year.
A memorial statue has been unveiled in North Shields to honour all the fisherman who lost their lives at sea.