Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
David Moyes was left bemused by the individual errors that led to Sunderland's 3-1 defeat by Stoke City at the Stadium of Light.
Luckie the cocker spaniel has not been seen since December 21 when he escaped from a pet holding area onboard a DFDS ferry
A man in his 40s needed hospital treatment after a stabbing in York.