Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
New powers to clamp down on anti-social behaviour in Newcastle have been approved by city councillors.
Cold winds will bring tumbling temperatures and the risk of SNOW.
After former footballer Ugo Ehiogu's death on Friday (April 21), his wife has set up a JustGiving page to set up a charity in his memory.