Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
The community of Spennymoor is being urged to help rebuild a family home after it was destroyed by fire.
Flu and norovirus continue to affect hospitals in the North East, with today's situation the same as yesterday's
The masterplan for Aykley Heads - home to Atom Bank and Salvus House - will now progress and a delivery model will follow later this year.