Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
Jeremy Corbyn MP tells ITV News Tyne Tees he is 'disappointed' Labour MPs have 'decided to misinterpret' his stance on Russia.
The smash happened on Dovedale Road, in the Fulwell area of Sunderland on Saturday morning.
New figures have revealed nearly £25,000 has been paid out to motorists in North Yorkshire whose vehicles have been damaged by potholes.