Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
A look ahead at the forecast for the Border region.
As shoppers gear up for one of the biggest challenges in the bargain hunter's calender, Ashleigh Swan shares her top Black Friday tips.
This autumn is on course to become the third mildest on record.