Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
Police are appealing for information after a 22-year-old woman was robbed by the roadside near Stokesley.
Newcastle Council leader Nick Forbes says the city could take children from the Calais Jungle migrant camp in the next couple of years.
The distraught family of a teenager killed in a car accident have backed a campaign to safeguard young drivers on north east roads.