Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
Officers were informed that the body of a man in his 60s had been found in a property in North Tyneside on Friday night.
Davey Hopper's funeral was held at the Miners' Association building today where he'd been secretary for over 30 years.
Aviation minister Lord Ahmad will examine the way alcohol is sold at airports amid a spate of drunken incidents on planes