Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
Liz Twist MP has made her maiden speech in the House of Commons. In it, she shared the story of how her husband ended his life.
Mike Ashley's Sports Direct reported a 58.7% tumble in underlying pre-tax profits to £113.7 million for the year to April 30
Police would like to speak to anyone who saw a black 5 door Mazda 6 saloon car NL59 MWJ in or around Sunderland Marina on Monday, June 26.