Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
Victorian North Yorkshire railway station celebrates 150 years of operation
Newcastle International Airport has welcomed the recommendation by the Airports Commission that a third runway should be built at Heathrow.
Six former British soldiers, including three from this region, have been told today that they will go on trial in India on weapons charges.