Engineers say a block of flats in Newburn, in Newcastle, will have to be demolished after a culvert diverting water under it collapsed during the heavy rain earlier this week.
Those living near to the damaged building were told the news at a public meeting on Thursday evening.
Many of the residents expressed anger and frustration, having attended a number of meetings since a nearby culvert collapsed three months ago.
The culvert is on land owned by Northumberland Estates. Their spokesman told the meeting that so far £1.8 million has been spent on attempted repairs.